Uber is a commercial ride-sharing firm. In 2015, Uber originally had an agreement with Intact Insurance for their ride-sharing Uber app. In August 2020, Uber and Intact Insurance could not come to an agreement on insurance pricing and Uber felt Intact was charging too much. Although Uber and Intact had a good working relationship, they just couldn’t agree on a price. As of September 1, 2020, Uber chose to go with Economical Insurance, a Waterloo-based insurance company for their ride-sharing insurance needs for Ontario, Alberta, Nova Scotia, and Quebec. However, any claims prior to September 1, 2020, will still be dealt with through Intact Insurance. The auto insurance regulator in Ontario has approved ride-sharing insurance for several insurance providers. Commercial ride-sharing only takes effect from the time the driver turns on their app until the time Uber passengers exit the vehicle.
What Kind Of Insurance Coverage Does Uber Provide To Their Drivers In Ontario?
Uber maintains commercial auto coverage for drivers during rideshare trips. The following coverage is provided through The Economical Insurance Company:
- Liability coverage of $2 million for third parties from the time you accept an Uber trip until its completion. This coverage takes precedence over your own personal car insurance policy.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage of $2 million to protect Uber vehicle occupants who may become injured by a hit and run driver, or a driver that does not have insurance or insufficient insurance.
- Contingent collision and comprehensive coverage will cover the Uber driver’s vehicle up to the actual cash value of the vehicle. The deductible is $1000. However, this coverage is only applicable if the Uber driver has the same type of coverage on their own personal car insurance policy.
- Ontario accident benefits coverage for Uber trips. Uber will also provide coverage for an Uber drivers for the time they are available through the Uber app but have not yet accepted a trip. Through the Economical insurance company when applicable coverage will be in place for $1 million third-party liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as well as all other coverages listed above.
What Kind Of Insurance Coverage Does Uber Provide To Their Drivers In Quebec?
Uber maintains commercial auto coverage provided by the Economical Insurance Company for Uber drivers in Quebec for the following coverage:
- Civil liability coverage of $1 million for third-party liabilities from the time the Uber driver logs onto the Uber app until the Uber driver logs off the app.
- Contingent coverage protection for loss or physical damage to the Uber driver’s vehicle provided they have coverage on their own personal car insurance policy. The amount of coverage and the required deductible will be the same as indicated in the Uber driver’s own personal car insurance policy.
What Kind Of Insurance Coverage Does Uber Provide To Their Drivers In Alberta?
Uber provides Uber drivers commercial auto insurance in Alberta in the event an accident occurs between the time the Uber driver accepts a trip and reaches the ride-share passenger (s) destination. The following coverages apply:
- Third-party liability coverage of $2 million applies from the time the Uber driver accepts an Uber trip until the conclusion of the trip.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage of $2 million and Alberta statutory accident benefit. This coverage protects the occupants of the Uber vehicle that may be injured by a hit and run driver. It also provides protection against uninsured drivers or drivers that do not have sufficient insurance coverage.
- Coverage between Uber trips – Alberta statutory accident benefit – This type of coverage that Uber maintains for its commercial auto insurance for Uber drivers in Alberta covers Uber drivers who are available through the Uber app but have not yet accepted a trip, but are waiting for an Uber trip. This insurance provides $1 million in third-party liability coverage should the Uber driver’s private insurance be denied. Other coverage included are statutory accident benefits and uninsured or insufficiently insured motorist coverage.
- Alberta statutory accident benefit – Loss or damage to the Uber drivers’ vehicle is covered from the moment they accept a trip through the Uber app until the trip is concluded. However, the Uber driver must pay the $1000 deductible.
How Does Personal Car Insurance Work When You Are An Uber Driver?
When you are an Uber driver, your own personal car insurance will only provide coverage when the driver turns their Uber app off and is no longer providing commercial ride-sharing services, or the driver is sitting available to pick up passengers. Some insurance providers in Ontario won’t even offer Uber drivers personal car insurance when they are Uber drivers. The reason is, an Uber driver is on the road more frequently and poses a higher risk to insurance companies. If a driver has not informed their personal insurance company that they are using their personal vehicle to perform Uber ride-sharing services they risk having their insurance policies canceled.
How Does Uber Work When Driving a Leased Vehicle?
It is highly recommended that anyone leasing a vehicle and considering becoming an Uber driver seek legal advice and speak with their leasing company. Many leasing companies do not allow personal leased vehicles to be used as commercial ride-sharing vehicles. It’s best to obtain a legal opinion prior to commencing Uber driver activities.
How Much Does Uber Insurance Cost?
Depending on your insurance provider, adding ride-sharing for Uber onto your insurance policy can increase your annual premium starting at $500 and up to increase.
Do You Need Special Insurance For Uber?
Yes, Uber drivers require Uber ride-sharing coverage.
Which Insurance Company Covers Uber in Ontario?
Uber Canada uses Economical Insurance as an insurance provider in Ontario, effective September 1, 2020.
Does Uber Pay For Insurance?
Yes, Uber drivers in Ontario are, covered under Uber-provided insurance while using the Uber app for a rideshare trip.
What Is A Transportation Network Company?
According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, a transportation network company is a company that arranges transportation for financial compensation in a privately owned vehicle. Compensation is paid to both the driver and the transportation network company. The transportation network company uses a platform that is online-enabled to connect drivers with passengers.