Be the first to leave a review.
Wawanesa Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurance companies in Canada owned by the policyholders. Beginning its life as a farmers’ mutual insurance company in Wawanesa, Manitoba, the company was founded in 1896 and incorporated in 1929. The first policy written by the company insured a thresher for $600 in return for a premium of $8 a year for three years. Many of its early policies were written on a promissory basis. Farmers had no money until the crop harvest, but insurance was issued ahead of the growing season. Despite this, the company’s practices proved successful. By 1910, Wawanesa was the largest fire insurance company in Canada.
While the Great Depression was a period of survival for many companies, Wawanesa entered the period with very large cash reserves and used this time of weak economy to expand. Offices were added in Moncton, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver. In 1974, the company expanded into the United States, incorporating in California and later writing policies in Oregon as well.
Currently, Wawanesa operates in all parts of Canada as well as California and Oregon. Policies are sold through independent brokers, except in Quebec where Wawanesa’s own agents operate.
- 1 Wawanesa Car Insurance Market Share Review
- 2 Wawanesa Car Insurance Rate Changes Review
- 3 Wawanesa Car Insurance Quotes Review For the Same Car and Driver Profile Across Selected Cities
- 4 Wawanesa Auto Insurance Discount
- 5 Optional Coverage You May Consider Buying With Wawanesa
- 6 Wawanesa Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
- 7 Making Wawanesa Car Insurance Claim
- 8 How Can I Get Wawanesa Car Insurance Quote
- 9 Contact Methods For Wawanesa Insurance
- 10 Wawanesa in the News
- 11 *Methodology
- 12 References:
|Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company Market Share||Quarter||Year|
Wawanesa Insurance did not file for rate change approvals in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2010. Their market share was 3.76% in the 1st quarter of 2010. This increased to 4.01% in the 2nd quarter of 2010. They did not file for rate change approvals in the 1st, 2nd or 4th quarters of 2011. The market share increased to 4.27% in the 3rd quarter of 2011.
The market share was stable at 4.27% in the 1st quarter of 2012. The market share marginally increased to 4.45% in the 2nd quarter of 2012 and was stable at 4.45% in the 4th quarter of 2012. They did not file for rate change approvals in the 1st and 3rd quarters of 2012. Their market share marginally increased to 4.49% in the 4th quarter of 2013.
Wawanesa did not file for rate change approvals in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2014. The market share dropped to 4% in the 4th quarter of 2014 and was stable at 4% in the 1st quarter of 2015. Their market share marginally dropped to 3.64% in the 2nd quarter of 2015 and stayed at 3.64% in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2015. They did not file for rate change approvals in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2016 and the data for the last quarter is not available. The market share was stable at 3.64% in the 1st quarter of 2016.
Wawanesa Car Insurance Rate Changes Review
|Quarter||Year||Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company Rate Change Approved %|
2010 – 2011 Rate Change Review
Wawanesa Insurance did not have any rate change approvals in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2010. In the 1st quarter of 2010, their rate change approval increased by 8.98%. There was no change in rates in the 2nd quarter of 2010. They did not file for a rate change with FSCO in the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarters of 2011. The rate change approved by FSCO increased by 9.89% in the 3rd quarter of 2011.
2012 – 2014 Rate Change Review
There was no rate change approval by FSCO in the 3rd quarter of 2012. The rates did not change in the 1st quarter of 2012 and the 2nd quarter of 2012. There was an increase in the rate change approved by FSCO by 4.87% in the 4th quarter of 2012. Wawanesa did not file for a rate change with FSCO in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2013. There was a decline in the rate change approved by 5.73% in the 4th quarter of 2013.
They did not file for rate change approval in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2014. In the 4th quarter of 2014, the rate change approved decreased by 6.44%. Around 16 insurance companies filed for rate changes in the quarter. They represented 46.81% of the insurance market.
2012 – 2014 Rate Change Review
The rate change approvals by FSCO in the 1st quarter of 2015 declined by 0.67%. About 39 insurance companies filed for rate changes in the same quarter. They represented 73.48% of the market. There was no change to rates in the 2nd quarter of 2015. In that quarter around 26 insurance companies filed for rate changes. They were representing 52.75% of the industry. This further decreased by 2.42% in the 3rd quarter of 2015. About 40 insurance companies filed for rate change approvals in the 3rd quarter of 2015. They represented 77.45% of the insurance industry. The last quarter of 2015 saw an increase in the rate change approved by 4.31%. In the same quarter 21 insurance companies filed for rate change approvals. They were representing 51.23% of the market.
Wawanesa Insurance did not file for rate change approval with FSCO in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2016. Their rates did not change in the 1st quarter of 2016 when 50 insurance companies had filed for rate changes. They represented 83.36% of the market. The data for the 4th quarter of 2016 is not available.
Wawanesa Car Insurance Quotes Review For the Same Car and Driver Profile Across Selected Cities
|City||Wawanesa Car Insurance Quotes*|
Wawanesa Auto Insurance Discount
Wawanesa has been at the forefront of many insurance innovations. In British Columbia, the company was the first to offer discounts to motorists who took driver training classes. This of course, continues to be a common premium saving that most insurers offer. Other premium savings can be realized when you insure two or more vehicles with the company. Having both car and home insured with Wawanesa adds additional savings. If you haven’t been in an accident in the last six years, or if you have never received a traffic ticket, you’ll enjoy even lower premiums. Mature drivers and, of course, drivers completing training courses may also qualify for further premium reductions.
They offer discounts for car insurance policies as per profile and criteria. Some of the factors are as follows.
- When you insure 2 or more cars with Wawanesa then you may get a discount.
- If your car and home are insured with Wawanesa then you may get a discount.
- Your children could get a discount if they complete a driver training program.
- You may get a discount as a mature driver who is aged over 50 years with good driving record.
- In case you do not have any accidents in the last 6 years then you may qualify for a discount.
- You could qualify for a discount if you never got a traffic ticket
- Anti-theft Discount for fitting a theft deterrent device in your car.
- Occasional drivers who are students away from home could get a discount. Discount
- When you insure a vehicle on a farm property that could get you a discount.
- Loyalty discount is given each time you renew your Wawanesa car insurance policy over the years.
- Mature drivers with good driving habits qualify for a discount.
- Multiproduct and multi-vehicle discounts for insuring many products with Wawanesa.
- Retiree Discount is given to retired drivers with good driving record.
Note that, since auto insurance is provincially regulated, not all products may be available in all areas. Any applied discounts will be listed on your policy, so if you qualify and that discount is not listed, talk to your agent or broker.
Optional Coverage You May Consider Buying With Wawanesa
Wawanesa provides standard auto coverage in Ontario for accident benefits, third party liability, uninsured motorist and DC-PD. You may also purchase additional coverage to enhance your level of protection in case of a loss or damage to your car. It is also possible to increase your coverage limits for better protection.
Wawanesa Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
If you wish to cancel your Wawanesa car insurance policy then you may inform your broker first. You may also contact the executive office in Winnipeg or one of the branches in your region. As per your car insurance terms, they will calculate any refund and issue to you. In case they use the short rate basis then you may pay a fee for canceling your policy early and not at renewal.
Making Wawanesa Car Insurance Claim
To make a car insurance claim you may contact your local broker as soon as possible. If you are not able to locate or reach a broker then you may call the claims support number to submit your claim. If the damage or loss is not an emergency, then you may inform you broker the next business day or submit an Automobile Claim online. The phone numbers for the branches to call after business hours are:
- Ontario claims support number is 1800.268.7300.
- Maritimes claims support number is 1800.361.2528.
- Quebec claims support number is 1888.933.9292.
- Winnipeg claims support number is 204.985.3811.
- Thunder Bay claims support number is 807.624.5670.
- Prairie claims support number is 1888.824.6212.
- Northern Alberta claims support number is 1800.625.7891.
- Southern Alberta claims support number is 1800.372.9212.
- The claims support number for Yukon and BC is 1800.665.2778
How Can I Get Wawanesa Car Insurance Quote
You may contact an insurance broker to get a Wawanesa car insurance quote. Or you could also call Wawanesa directly on one of their contact numbers. To locate a broker you may use the online tool.
Contact Methods For Wawanesa Insurance
Broker: You may locate the nearest broker by using the online form on the website.
Mailing address: The executive office is located at 900-191 Broadway, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3P1 and the phone number to reach them is 204.985.3923.
Fax: To send your documents you may also fax it to 204.942.7724.
Branches: Apart from the executive office mentioned above there are 7 branches in Canada as follows.
- British Columbia branch contact number is 604.739.5440 and 1800.665.2778. You may fax your documents to 604.739.5410.
- Northern Alberta branch phone number is 780.469.5700 and 1800.625.7891. The fax number is 780.469.5777.
- Southern Alberta office contact number is 403.266.8600 and 1800.372.9212. You may fax documents to 403.262.1588.
- Prairie branch phone number is 204.824.2132 and 1888.824.6212. To fax documents, you can send it to 204.824.2140.
- Winnipeg branch contact number is 204.985.3811 and the fax number is 204.958.4597.
- Ontario branch phone number is 416.250.9292 and 1800.268.7300. The fax number is 416.228.7828. Service offices for Ontario are located in Barrie, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Nepean, Peterborough, Thunder Bay and Waterloo.
- New Brunswick branch contact number is 506.853.1010 and 1800.361.2528. You may fax documents to 506.853.3827.
Wawanesa in the News
Wawanesa, along with Intact Insurance, Co-Operators General Insurance, TD General Insurance, Aviva Insurance and Lloyds Underwriters represents about 60 percent of the market share for insurance in Alberta, and thus may face the biggest losses in the wake of the Fort McMurray wildfires. Early estimates place the natural disaster among the largest insured catastrophes in Canada. Losses could range anywhere from $2.9 billion to $9 billion. This may be a rough time for Wawanesa, as its U.S. subsidiary’s financial strength rating was downgraded from A to A- by insurance industry observer A.M. Best. While the Canadian parent company remains at A+ for 2015, outlooks were changed from stable to negative based on 2015 performance. The fallout from the Fort McMurray incident may make it difficult for Wawanesa to turn around ratings in the short term.
We surveyed Wawanesa car insurance Quotes in select Canadian cities for the purpose of illustrating the average quotes for a male driver aged 35 years in city downtown with owned Honda Civic 2012 model car.
Please note that car insurance prices depend on many factors including your age, location, driving history and more. So, to get a customized quote, please visit Wawanesa car insurance quotation page.
We are not affiliated and make no representations or warranties, recommendations or endorsements of Wawanesa Insurance. This article is our review of Wawanesa Insurance for information purposes only. The logos, trademarks, and copyrights mentioned in this article belong to the Wawanesa Insurance.