RSA Insurance Group was founded in 1833 more than 300 years ago as Royal Insurance and offered fire insurance. Royal Insurance and Sun Alliance merged together in 1996 to form Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Group now headquartered in Toronto, Ontario. Now they trade as RSA and are the largest property and casualty insurance providers in Canada. RSA Insurance offers coverage to almost 1 million vehicles with more than 4000 employees in Canada. They operate in more than 140 countries and serve over 17 million consumers across the globe. RSA offers home, auto, boat, watercraft, travel, pet, commercial, global specialty, and marine insurance through its member companies. Auto insurance is provided by its member company Johnson Insurance and Unifund underwrites their auto policies.
|Royal & SunAlliance Insurance Company of Canada Market Share||Quarter||Year|
RSA did not have any rate filings in the 3rd quarter of 2010. Their market share was 1.59% in the 1st quarter of 2010. This marginally declined to 1.47% in the 2nd quarter of 2010 and was stable at 1.47% in the 4th quarter of 2010. In the 1st quarter of 2011, the market share was still stable at 1.47%. They had no rate filings in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters of 2011.
There was no rate change approval in the 3rd quarter of 2012. The market share increased to 3.04% in the 1st quarter of 2012. This dropped to 1.39% in the 2nd quarter of 2012 and was stable at 1.39% in the 4th quarter of 2012. RSA’s market share stayed at 1.39% in the 1st quarter of 2013. This marginally dropped to 1.32% in the 3rd quarter of 2013 and was stable at 1.32% in the 4th quarter of 2013.
They had no rate change approvals in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters of 2014. The market share decreased to 1.18% in the 4th quarter of 2014 and was stable at 1.18% in the 1st quarter of 2015. This marginally dropped to 1.07% in the 3rd quarter of 2015 and was stable at 1.07% in the 1st quarter of 2016. RSA did not file for rate change approval in the 2nd and 4th quarters of 2015. Neither did they file for rate changes in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2016. The data for the last quarter of 2016 is not available.
RSA Canada Car Insurance Rate Changes Review
|Quarter||Year||Royal & SunAlliance Insurance Company of Canada Rate Change Approved %|
2010 – 2011 Rate Change Review
RSA did not file for rate changes in the 3rd quarter of 2010 and their rates did not change in the 1st and 2nd quarters of 2010. The rate change approved by FSCO increased by 6.48% in the 4th quarter of 2010. There was no rate change approval filed in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters of 2011. The rates did not change in the 1st quarter of 2011.
2012 – 2014 Rate Change Review
The rate change approved by FSCO increased by 1.73% in the 1st quarter of 2012. There were no changes to rates in the 2nd quarter of 2012. Their rate change approvals decreased by 2.05% in the 4th quarter of 2012. They did not file for rate changes in the 3rd quarter of 2012 and the 2nd quarter of 2013. RSA rates change approved in the 1st quarter marginally increased by 0.20% in the 1st quarter of 2013. This marginally dropped by 1.06% in the 3rd quarter of 2013. In the 4th quarter of 2013, the rate change approval decreased further by 9.20%.
They did not have any rate change approval in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters of 2014. Their rates did not change in the 4th quarter of 2014. Around 16 insurance companies filed for rate changes in that quarter. They represented 46.81% of the insurance market.
2015 – 2016 Rate Change Review
RSA did not file for rate changes in the 2nd and 4th quarters of 2015. The rate change approved by FSCO in the 1st quarter of 2015 declined by 1.11%. About 39 insurance companies filed for rate change approvals in that quarter. They represented 73.48% of the insurance industry. There was no change in rates in the 1st quarter of 2016. In the same quarter, about 50 insurance companies filed for rate change approvals. They represented 83.36% of the industry. They did not file for rate change approvals in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2016. That quarter saw 40 insurance companies file for rate changes. They were representing 77.45% of the market. The data for the last quarter is not yet updated.
RSA Car Insurance Quotes Review For the Same Car and Driver Profile Across Selected Cities
|City||RSA Car Insurance Quotes*|
RSA Canada Auto Insurance Discounts
RSA offers many discounts for car insurance policies for many factors.
- Bundling of home and auto policies can get you a discount.
- Multiple vehicles insured with RSA give you discounts.
- Drivers with good driving experience may qualify for discounts.
- Safe drivers who have no accidents, convictions, or violations may get discounts.
- Group discounts are offered to associations, academic institutions, and employers.
Optional Coverage You May Consider Buying With RSA Canada
RSA offers mandatory car insurance coverage in Ontario. This includes accident benefits, uninsured motorists, liability, and DC-PD coverages. You may choose to increase your coverage limits or deductibles as per your requirement. The following are some of the optional coverage.
- First accident forgiveness: This optional coverage will protect your driving record when you get involved in an accident for the first time.
- Comprehensive: You may claim for damages not caused by a collision.
- Collision: This will cover damages due to collisions.
- All Perils: Get coverage against all perils and combine collision and comprehensive.
- Depreciation benefit: The coverage helps to retain your new car’s value over time subject to certain conditions.
- Rental vehicle coverage helps you to claim for a rental car expense.
- Loss of use: Claim for using alternative transportation when you cannot use your car.
- Roadside assistance: If you wish to get roadside support and not be stranded when your car breaks down or for any other reason then, you may add this coverage.
The RSA Product Line
RSA is a full-service property and casualty insurance provider, claiming to be Canada’s broadest insurer in this class. The general P&C insurance it offers includes:
- Car insurance
- Boat, watercraft, and marine insurance
- Homeowner’s insurance
- Travel insurance
- Global specialty insurance
- Pet insurance
- Commercial and business insurance
Priding itself on exceptional client service, RSA offers 1 Air Miles Plan reward mile for every $20 a customer spends.
RSA Group’s Marketing System
RSA Insurance itself works primarily as an underwriter, dealing with clients through an extensive broker network. Clients cannot purchase insurance directly from RSA Insurance. However, the other members of the group are direct insurance providers. Johnson Inc. is a full-service insurance provider, offering auto, home, pet, and travel insurance, as well as providing group benefit plans to businesses. Pets Plus Us and RSA Travel coverage can be purchased through Johnson Inc. or directly from the other member companies, all of this written by the parent RSA Insurance division.
RSA in the News
RSA Canada had a record year in 2015, reporting a profit of $225 million on its underwriting efforts. The company’s combined operating ratio for 2015 was 91.7 percent, down from 98.6 percent the previous year. The combined operating ratio is how insurance companies measure the success of insurance operations. It compares revenue from premiums to amounts paid in settlements, so the lower the ratio, the greater the profit. This record performance came at a time when net revenue from premiums was down 4 percent over the year.
The company credited the strong performance to its efforts to improve underwriting and risk management and it was aided by no significant weather events boosting claims settlements. The wildfire damage to Fort McMurray, Alberta, in the spring of 2016 will likely have a major effect on results for all involved insurers for the year.
RSA Canada Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
In order to cancel your policy, you may call one of the service specialists on 1800-804-0087. You may also contact the support team by calling 1844-568-2049. They will help you with the cancellation and refund process if applicable to your car insurance policy. If you cancel your policy mid-term you may pay some cancellation fee for policy handling costs. After deducting the cancellation fee they will pay you a refund if any.
Making RSA Canada Car Insurance Claim
To make a car insurance claim you may contact the RSA claims department on 1844-229-1024 or 1844-234-6757 any time of the day. If you wish to submit a claim for windshield damage then you may contact 1888.875.3636. In case you wish to contact Johnson Insurance to submit your claim then you may call 1844-463-1931. They will explain your options after confirming your coverage and assist you with the repair or replacement of your car.
How Can I Get RSA Canada Car Insurance Quote
You may get a car insurance quote directly from Johnson Insurance and call on 1877-787-0469. Or you may get in touch with an insurance broker for a quote. To locate an RSA broker you may use the online tool and search by type of insurance and postal code.
Contact Methods For RSA Canada Insurance
- Broker: You may search for an RSA insurance broker by using the online tool.
- Online account: To register and log in to your account you may visit the website link. Policyholders can keep track of and manage their insurance policies online.
- Phone: The phone number to call the RSA head office is 416.366.7511 and 1800.268.8406. If you wish to call Johnson Insurance for general car insurance queries then you may contact 1844.893.0512 or 1888.739.1209. They can be reached on weekdays from 8 am to 6 pm and Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm. Policyholders may reach the roadside assistance department by calling 1800.268.0268.
- Call back: There is an option to request a call back from a licensed insurance representative by filling up the form on the website.
- Fax: To fax your documents you can send them to 416.366.7511.
- Chat: You may chat with one of Johnson’s Insurance representatives about your car insurance policy on weekdays from 8 am to 8 pm and on Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm.
We surveyed RSA Canada car insurance Quotes in select Canadian cities for the purpose of illustrating the average quotes for a male driver aged 35 years in a city downtown with owned Honda Civic 2012 model car.
Please note that car insurance prices depend on many factors including your age, location, driving history, and more. So, to get a customized quote, please visit the RSA Canada car insurance quotation page.
We are not affiliated and make no representations warranties, recommendations, or endorsements of RSA Canada Insurance. This article is our review of RSA Canada Insurance for information purposes only. The logos, trademarks, and copyrights mentioned in this article belong to RSA Canada Insurance.
Leave A Comment