The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) started operations in 1973. It is incorporated as a crown corporation in the province of B.C. to offer auto insurance to motorists in B.C. They also offer services for vehicle and driver licensing and vehicle registration. The board of directors, management team, and CEO govern ICBC. They follow the public sector guidelines laid for corporate governance. The ICBC acts as per the Vehicle Insurance Act, Insurance Corporation Act, Vehicle Insurance Regulation, and other relevant legislation.
The BC Utilities Commission (BCUC) has independently regulated ICBC basic Autoplan insurance to ensure fairness in rate approvals since 2003. ICBC Autoplan coverage extends on your vehicle extends across Canada, U.S., Alaska, and Hawaii. It is mandatory to have ICBC Autoplan insurance to own and drive a vehicle in B.C. as per law. They collect premiums from over 2.6 million motorists for auto insurance and it is used to provide benefits to crash victims and customers. In B.C. mandatory car insurance is offered by ICBC. There are many private car insurance companies that compete with each other in the industry too that offer car insurance coverage.
ICBC Auto Insurance Discounts
ICBC does not set car insurance premiums based on sex, age, or marital status. They offer certain discounts on auto policies based on many factors. You may get a discount on your policy if you have not filed a claim as a driver for a certain period of time. You are eligible for a 5% discount when you do not claim each year up to a maximum discount of 40%. To determine your claims history ICBC looks at most recent 8 or more years of continuous claims-free status before you got your B.C. license or Autoplan policy.
To ask a query about the discounts that you could avail on your auto policy you may call 1800.663.3051 in B.C., U.S., and Canada. Or you may call 604.661.2800 in the lower mainland.
Optional Coverage You May Consider Buying With ICBC
You have to buy a basic Autoplan insurance package from ICBC as a motorist in B.C. This basic package includes third-party liability coverage, underinsured motorist coverage, accident benefits, hit and run, uninsured motorists, and inverse liability. ICBC also competes with other private insurance companies in B.C. to provide extended third-party liability insurance and optional coverage. Some of them are as follows.
- Extended Third Party Liability: This coverage helps you to claim for damage and injury costs above your basic plan limit up to your coverage limit. The maximum coverage limit is $5 million. In case you face a lawsuit, you may claim under this coverage and your home equity and other assets will be safe.
- Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection: This coverage helps to claim for medical and rehabilitation costs and lost wages in case you are injured in a car accident. This applies if the crash is caused due to the fault of a driver who does not have enough insurance coverage.
- Loss of Use: Under this coverage, you may claim for expenses of the taxi, rental vehicles, or public transit when your car cannot be used when being repaired.
- Collision: To claim against damages caused to your car due to a collision.
- Comprehensive: Helps you to claim for damages not caused by a collision.
- Specified Perils: You get the option to pick and choose the perils against which you need protection for your car. There are some exceptions such as vandalism, hitting an animal or windshield damage.
- Rental Vehicle Coverage: This coverage offers protection to your rental vehicle.
- New Vehicle Protection: There are 3 types of products under this coverage for a new car.
ICBC Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
To cancel your car insurance policy you may contact your Autoplan insurance broker. ICBC will calculate and issue a refund after deducting a cancellation fee if you cancel early. Your refund amount depends on any outstanding debts you owe them and the term that remains on your policy.
Making ICBC Car Insurance Claim
You may contact 604.520.8222 every day at any time to report a claim from the lower mainland. The number to report a claim if you are calling from U.S. and all over Canada is 1800.910.4222. You may also file your claim using the online claim form to submit a claim. After you submit your car insurance claim you may also check its status online.
How Can I Get ICBC Car Insurance Quote
A distribution network consisting of around 900 brokers sell ICBC Autoplan policies across B.C. You may search online for your local broker. ICBC offers car insurance policies on an annual or short term basis of 3 to 11 months. They also offer insurance coverage for a few days if you have a temporary operation permit ranging from 1 – 15 days.
Your broker can help you with insurance coverage options if you have newly moved to B.C., have changed or modified your vehicle or purpose of use etc. In case you have to renew your ICBC Autoplan policy then you have to pay your outstanding debts if any to ICBC or B.C. province.
Contact Methods For ICBC Insurance
- Autoplan broker: You may contact an Autoplan broker for all your car insurance needs. They can help you when you want to buy, renew, cancel or change your insurance coverage level. They will also guide you to register and license your vehicle for using on the roads. To find your local broker you may use the online form and search by location.
- Phone: To call ICBC for any general questions in U.S. and Canada you may contact 1800.663.3051. The contact number for the lower mainland is 604.661.2800 and they are available on weekdays between 8 am and 6 pm. On Saturdays they are available from 9 am to 5 pm.
- In-person: The head office is located at 151 West Esplanade, North Vancouver, BC V7M 3H9. You may visit them on weekdays from 8.15 am to 4.30 pm. They remain closed on weekends and statutory holidays.
We are not affiliated and make no representations or warranties, recommendations, or endorsements of ICBC Insurance. This article is our review of ICBC Insurance for information purposes only. The logos, trademarks, and copyrights mentioned in this article belong to ICBC Insurance.