Be the first to leave a review.
In 1887 Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company started operations and grew to be one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada. Their head office was based in Toronto, Ontario. Over the years, many more offices spread across Canada. Travelers Canada acquired the Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company in 2013 and still has their head office in Toronto, Ontario. St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Company, Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company and Travelers Insurance Company of Canada are together known as Travelers Group. Travelers Group is the 2nd largest insurance provider in U.S. Their locations are all over Canada in Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Charlottetown, London, Montreal, Dartmouth, and Ottawa. They also have operations in U.S., Ireland, U.K., and Brazil with around 30,000 worldwide employees and total assets worth $105 billion.
Travelers offer insurance in 3 main segments through a large network of independent insurance brokers. These include bond and specialty insurance that comprise of crime, surety and financial liability, personal and business insurance. Their consumers include individuals, businesses, government units and associations. The Dominion of Canada underwrites personal auto insurance policies in all Canadian provinces except Quebec where they do not offer personal insurance. They insure many types of vehicles such as private passenger vehicle, classic cars, antique cars, motor home and recreational vehicles.
- 1 Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Market Share Review
- 2 Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Rate Changes Review
- 3 Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Quotes Review For the Same Car and Driver Profile Across Selected Cities
- 4 Dominion of Canada Auto Insurance Discounts
- 5 Optional Coverage You May Consider Buying With Dominion of Canada
- 6 Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
- 7 Making Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Claim
- 8 How Can I Get Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Quote
- 9 Contact Methods For Dominion of Canada Insurance
- 10 *Methodology
- 11 Disclaimer
- 12 References:
|Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company Market Share||Quarter||Year|
Dominion of Canada did not have any rate filings in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2010. The market share was 4.75% in the 1st quarter of 2010. This increased to 5.15% in the next quarter of 2010. They did not have rate filings in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2011. Their market share was stable at 5.15% in the 1st quarter of 2011 and marginally increased to 5.33% in the 2nd quarter of 2011.
They had no rate filings in the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters of 2012. Their market share dropped to 4.94% in the 2nd quarter of 2012. This marginally increased to 4.95% and was stable at 4.95% in the 4th quarter of 2013. Dominion did not have rate filings in 2014.
Their market share marginally declined to 4.90% in the 1st quarter of 2015. It further dropped to 4.42% in the 2nd quarter of 2015 and was stable at 4.42% in the 3rd quarter of 2015 and the 1st quarter of 2016. The market share decreased to 3.80% and was stable in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of 2016. The data for the last quarter of 2016 is yet to be updated.
Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Rate Changes Review
|Quarter||Year||Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company Rate Change Approved %|
2010 – 2011 Rate Change Review
Dominion of Canada did not file for a rate change with FSCO in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2010. The rate change approved by FSCO increased by 0.18% in the 1st quarter of 2010. The rates did not change in the 2nd quarter of 2010. They did not file for a rate change in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2011. Their rate change approved by FSCO increased by 1.36% in the 1st quarter of 2011. There was a marginal drop in the rate change approved by 0.02% in the 2nd quarter of 2011.
2012 – 2014 Rate Change Review
They did not file for a rate change with FSCO in the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters of 2012. The rate change approved marginally decreased by 0.04% in the 2nd quarter of 2012. There was no change in rates in the 2nd quarter of 2013. But the rate marginally dropped by 0.55% in the 4th quarter of 2013. There was no rate change approval by FSCO in 2014.
2015 – 2016 Rate Change Review
In the year 2015, they did not file for a rate change in the 4th quarter. The rate change approved by FSCO decreased by 5.61% in the 1st quarter of 2015. Around 39 insurance companies filed for a rate change with FSCO in that quarter. They represented 73.48% of the market. There was no change in the rates in the 2nd quarter of 2015. That quarter saw 26 insurance companies file for a rate change with FSCO. That represented 52.75% of the insurance market. Their rate change approved by FSCO declined by 1.24% in the 3rd quarter of 2015. About 40 insurance companies filed for rate change approval with FSCO in the same quarter. They were representing 77.45% of the insurance industry.
Their rates approved by FSCO had no changes in the 1st and 2nd quarter of 2016. In that quarter about 50 insurance companies filed for rate change approval. They represented 83.36% of the market. There was no change to rate in the 2nd quarter of 2016. The same quarter saw 14 insurance companies file for rate change approval with FSCO. That represented 30.06% of the market. There was an increase in the rate change approved by FSCO in the 3rd quarter of 2016. Around 25 insurance companies filed for a rate change with FSCO in that quarter. They represented 63.56% of the market.
Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Quotes Review For the Same Car and Driver Profile Across Selected Cities
|City||Dominion of Canada Insurance Car Insurance Quotes*|
Dominion of Canada Auto Insurance Discounts
Dominion of Canada General Insurance offers discounts based on different factors. Safe and responsible drivers, multiproduct insurance etc. are some of the categories.
- You may get a discount if you complete a driver training program to become a safe driver.
- If you have a good driving record with no convictions (last 3 years) and at-fault accidents (last 6 years) then you may qualify for a discount.
- Retired drivers are eligible for a discount in Ontario.
- When you insure all your cars with Dominion then you get a discount.
- In case your child is a full-time student and drives your car occasionally only then you may get a discount.
- You may insure both car and home with Dominion to get a discount.
- Get 4 approved winter tires for your car during the winter season every year to avail a discount.
Optional Coverage You May Consider Buying With Dominion of Canada
Dominion offers standard car insurance and optional coverage for the enhanced protection of your car in case of a damage, loss or theft. Mandatory coverage limit would be as regulated in the province. There are options to change your coverage and deductible limits. You may also add certain special endorsements as per your requirements.
- Collision: You may claim for damages to your car due to a collision with another car, object or if it rolls over. An example includes hit and run collision.
- Comprehensive: Claim under this coverage for a loss due to anything other than a collision damage. Examples include fire, theft, vandalism etc.
- Loss of use: Get this cover to claim for expenses when you rent a vehicle as your car is repaired.
Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
When you wish to cancel your Dominion car insurance policy due to any reason then you may inform your broker. If you wish to speak to one of the regional or head offices then you may contact them directly. They will calculate your refund as per the number of months left on your policy term. When you cancel early instead of renewal then you may pay a cancellation fee.
Making Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Claim
To report a car insurance claim you may call 1800-661-5522 and they will help you 365 days every year all day. In order to file your claim, you may provide them your name, contact number, address, policy number, description of loss including date, other motorist’s name and contact details, time and location. You may also give them the vehicle details such as VIN, make, model, year etc.
How Can I Get Dominion of Canada Car Insurance Quote
You may get a car insurance quote from a broker. Contact the insurance broker in your location using the website form.
Contact Methods For Dominion of Canada Insurance
You may use the following methods to get in touch with Dominion Insurance.
- Broker: You may locate a broker to get help for your insurance needs by using the website link.
- Mail: The head office is located in 165 University Avenue Toronto, ON M5H 3B9 and the contact numbers are 416-362-7231 and 1800-268-8447.
- Phone: The customer service department contact numbers are 1800-268-4543 and 905-825-6422.
- Email: There is an option to send an email to the customer service department to CustomerServiceCDN@travelers.com.
We surveyed Dominion of Canada car insurance Quotes in select Canadian cities for the purpose of illustrating the average quotes for a male driver aged 35 years in city downtown with owned Honda Civic 2012 model car.
Please note that car insurance prices depend on many factors including your age, location, driving history and more. So, to get a customized quote, please visit Dominion of Canada car insurance quotation page.
We are not affiliated and make no representations or warranties, recommendations or endorsements of Dominion of Canada Insurance. This article is our review of Dominion of Canada Insurance for information purposes only. The logos, trademarks, and copyrights mentioned in this article belong to the Dominion of Canada Insurance.