If you are planning to buy a car then it is a good idea to check out the list of cars that are a target for thieves and avoid those cars. Insurance Bureau of Canada releases a list of most stolen vehicles at the end of each year. However, if you already have a car and it shows up on this list then you have to be extra cautious. You may install an anti- theft deterrent with an immobilizer, it would be a wise choice. When your car does not show up on the list then you can heave a sigh of relief but just be careful.
Is Car Theft On The Rise In Canada Each Year?
In Canada, a car is stolen on an average basis at least once every seven minutes. The number of cars that are stolen in Canada every year costs near to a billion dollars. More than $500 million is paid out by insurers for auto thefts for fixing, replacing and over $200 million in health care and legal costs. As per IBC data, the number of auto thefts rose by 6% across Canada in 2016 when compared to 2015. The Saint John Police Force and IBC joined resources to form PATNET for tackling the auto theft crime network. This is a platform that shares professional skills, information and support amongst law enforcement and car insurance industry.
Most Stolen Vehicles Latest List As Per IBC
As per IBC data has a list of top 10 vehicles most stolen in Canada and as the data, the Ford F series 350 pick- up trucks have topped the list.
- (2007) FORD F350 SD 4WD Pick-Up
- (2006) FORD F350 SD 4WD Pick-Up
- FORD F350 SD 4WD 2006 Pick-Up
- (2004) FORD F350 SD 4WD Pick-Up
- FORD F350 SD 4WD 2003 Pick-Up
- TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4DR 4WD 2015 SUV
- CADILLAC ESCALADE 4DR 4WD 2003 SUV
- FORD F350 SD 4WD 2002 Pick-Up
- FORD F250 SD 4WD 2006 Pick-Up
- ACURA ZDX 4DR AWD 2010 SUV
List Of Top 10 Least Stolen Vehicles
There is a list of vehicles very unlikely to be a thieves’ target as below.
- A6 Audi all-wheel-drive, luxury car
- SUV Mercury Mariner (2009-10) small SUV
- 2010 Chevrolet Equinox midsize SUV
- (2009-10)Volkswagen CC, midsize car
- Chevrolet Equinox four-wheel-drive (2010) midsize SUV
- Lexus RX 350 (2010) midsize luxury SUV
- Saturn Vue midsize SUV
- Chevrolet Aveo (2009-10) mini station wagon
- BMW 5 Series all-wheel-drive large luxury car
- Mini Cooper Clubman two-door car
Car thieves sometimes do not prefer to steal a luxury vehicle and the above list has top brands in luxury cars. Most of these cars have advanced anti-theft devices, immobilizers, and keys with electronic transponders and are quite difficult to steal or copy codes. Older and economy models are much easier to steal with fewer alarm devices and still get some good money for the parts. So, thieves prefer easy to steal pickups and old models; Ford models are their favorite.