Automobile transmissions most common types are automatic and manual. An automobile’s transmission transfers power from the engine to the wheels. Transmissions contain gears to keep your engine speed and the wheel speeds at the correct rate. There are different kinds of gears required depending on how much speed you need to go from your engine to your wheels. This is where the difference between manual and automatic transmissions comes into play. When driving a manual transmission vehicle, the driver is in control of changing gears. When driving an automatic transmission vehicle, the transmission automatically switches the gears. Most commonly Ontario drivers choose automatic transmission vehicles for sheer convenience, especially in high congested traffic areas. When driving in traffic in a manual transmission vehicle, the driver constantly has to shift and use the clutch often. However, when driving an automatic vehicle in heavy traffic, the driver only has to accelerate and brake.
Is it Cheaper to Insure a Manual or Automatic?
Typically it is cheaper to insure a manual transmission vehicle but not by much as it is less costly to replace a manual transmission than it is to replace an automatic transmission.
Is it Better to Drive an Automatic or a Manual?
Automatic transmission vehicles are much easier to drive, however, you have far more control when driving a manual transmission vehicle. Manual transmission vehicles can also be more fuel-efficient compared to older automatic transmission cars.
Manual VS Automatic Transmission Reliability
Manual transmission vehicles contain more gears than automatic transmissions and are less complex and lighter in weight than automatic transmissions. Manual transmissions tend to be deemed more reliable because they are less expensive to repair.
Manual VS Automatic Pros And Cons?
There are pros and cons to both automatic transmission vehicles and manual transmission vehicles. However, it really comes down to personal preference. Many Ontario drivers do not know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, so they stick with what they are most comfortable driving, an automatic transmission vehicle.
Manual Transmission Pros
- The driver is more engaged with driving the vehicle
- Manual transmission vehicles are less expensive to purchase
- The driver has full control of shifting gears
- Manual transmissions cost less to repair
Manual Transmission Cons
- Must have a clear understanding of gears and speeds
- Can be tiring driving in traffic
- Vehicle selection is lower with vehicles containing manual transmissions
- Must have total precise control on hills to avoid stalling the vehicle
- More difficult to learn to drive
- The manual transmission has a longer lifespan than an automatic transmission when properly cared for (with the exception of having to replace the clutch)
Automatic Transmission Pros
- Much higher selection of automatic transmission vehicles
- Easier to drive in stop and go traffic
- The automatic transmission offers smoother shifting
- Automatic shiftable transmissions are available to offer the best of both worlds
- Much easier to learn to drive with an automatic transmission versus a manual transmission
Automatic Transmission Cons
- Automatic transmissions with too many gears might shift too often
- In most cases, It’s more expensive to purchase the same vehicle with an automatic transmission
- Repair costs are higher on automatic transmissions
- It is not as much fun to drive for some drivers
- Automatic transmissions are more complex than manual transmissions which means more can go wrong with them
Common Myths between Manual and Automatic Transmission Vehicles
There are many myths behind certain aspects of manual and automatic transmissions. However, with modern advanced technology in today’s automotive industry, many myths have been put to rest.
Common Myth – Manual Cars Get Better Mileage
Prior to the evolution of advanced technology in the automotive industry, this was actually a fact, manual transmission vehicles did in fact obtain better fuel efficiency than an automatic transmission vehicle. However, newer automatic vehicles now require less torque due to having additional gears.
Common Myth – The Best Sports Cars Have A Manual Transmission
Depending on your own personal definition of the best sports cars will depend on your preference pertaining to sports cars. Some of the newest model sports cars like the 797-horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye are only available with an eight-speed automatic transmission. This great sports car along with the 2020 Porsche 911 and the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette recently debuted without an option for a manual transmission. It is also good to know that Lamborghini and Ferrari have gotten away from offering any manual transmission sports cars. The latest technology includes a dual-clutch automatic transmission. These transmissions offer the best of both worlds and are constructed with a computer-controlled clutch.
Common Myth – Manual Cars Cost Less Than Automatics
While once upon a time this did fall true, however nowadays, some automatic models can be cheaper than a manual model such as in the case of the 2020 Kia Forte GT.
Common Myth – All Vehicle Models Are Available With a Manual Transmission
This is not true. There are several models on the market that are only available with manual transmissions. These models include:
- Ford Shelby GT350
- Honda Civic Type R
- Subaru WRX STI
- Hyundai Veloster N
Are Manual Transmission Vehicles Less Likely To Be Stolen?
There is no real definitive answer to this question. However, it is often thought that due to the fact the majority of Ontario drivers do not know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, they are less likely to be stolen. Many thieves can also be stumped when it comes to stealing a vehicle that has manual transmission, while other thieves will steal whatever they can get their hands on.
Shopping For A Vehicle
Shopping for a new vehicle can be very overwhelming for some people. There are many decisions that have to be made such as:
- To buy a brand new vehicle or a used vehicle
- A vehicle with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive
- A vehicle’s engine type, gas, electric, diesel
- A vehicle’s transmission type, manual, automatic, or dual
- The size of a vehicle you require for your family
- A vehicle that is fuel-efficient
- A vehicle that is insurance friendly