With its proximity to Detroit, it’s natural that Windsor became part of the automotive revolution of the 20th Century. A group of Canadian investors bought the rights to build and distribute Ford cars in Canada. Ford Canada wasn’t, at the time, a subsidiary of Henry Ford’s company, but a wholly owned Canadian subsidiary. The company had rights to sell Ford automobiles anywhere in the British Empire except Great Britain and Ireland. It wasn’t until after World War II that the Canadian Ford operation combined with its American parent, and moved its head office from Windsor to Oakville.
Ford retains a plant in Windsor, though the declining manufacturing sector in Ontario reduces output over peak years. Windsor’s current metropolitan area has about 310,000 residents and in keeping with its role in the automotive industry, a majority of residents are car owners. Typical auto insurance for a 35-year-old male driver living downtown costs about $1,270 per year. This rate is based on an eight-year-old 4-door sedan.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Windsor Ontario
- 2 Affordable Car Insurance in Windsor
- 3 Driving in Windsor
- 4 List Of Driving Schools in Windsor
- 5 Road Information for Windsor
- 6 Driving Facts for Windsor
- 7 List of Car Insurance Companies & Brokers in Windsor Ontario
How Much is Car Insurance in Windsor Ontario
The table below shows Windsor car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Windsor*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in Windsor for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Windsor
Ontario’s car insurance system uses private insurance companies operating under heavily regulated provincial rules. Despite the regulations, the market remains competitive and motorists prepared to shop around potentially save hundreds of dollars annually by finding the right company and policy.
Mandatory coverage in Ontario provides only minimal protection against lawsuits occurring as a result of at fault accidents. Minimum coverage for third party liability is $200,000, though settlements for serious accidents can easily exceed this. Windsor drivers often increase this coverage to $500,000, $1 million or greater.
Collision and comprehensive car insurance aren’t required by the government. However, drivers who finance car purchases usually find that the lenders insist that new vehicles have this extended coverage. Unless a motorist accepts the financial responsibility of repairing or replacing a car after an incident, both collision and comprehensive coverage make sense. Motorists who want to match policy cost to budget can increase deductible limits and investigate discounts as ways to save money.
Many insurance companies offer bundles. These are collections of popular auto insurance products combined in a package priced lower than the products would be when purchased separately. Drivers can also ask their agent or broker about discounts which may apply to their insurance situation. While most companies offer discounts, these usually won’t be applied unless the driver asks.
Driving in Windsor
- Windsor is the western end of Highway 401, Canada’s busiest controlled access highway. The 401 currently ends at the E.C. Row Expressway and Ojibway Parkway.
- Huron Church Road feeds the Ambassador Bridge over the Detroit River into the United States. This is one of two current general border crossings in Windsor. Additionally, there is a train tunnel and a truck ferry.
- The Ambassador Bridge connects with Interstates 96 and 75 on the U.S. side.
- The Detroit Windsor Tunnel, on Goyeau Street at Wyandotte Street East is the other international border crossing. The tunnel emerges in downtown Detroit, next to the Renaissance Center.
- The E.C. Row Expressway is the major east-west corridor, though it is only marginally effective. Covering less than 16 km of Windsor’s 30 km east-west distance, the E.C. Row frequently bogs down under commuter traffic. Wyandotte Street and Tecumseh Road also provide east-west thoroughfares. Sandwich Street and Riverside Drive traverse the city along the Detroit River, but don’t combine to make a practical east-west route, being too far from the inland residential areas.
- City traffic in Windsor can be very slow moving for a city of its size. Truck traffic to the Ambassador Bridge often jams Huron Church Road. Major north-south streets with access to the E.C. Row Expressway frequently tie up with heavy traffic at the Expressway.
- Windsor has many train crossings at road grade, further complicating traffic in town. Grade separation projects are completed as part of a provincial initiative to improve the city’s infrastructure.
List Of Driving Schools in Windsor
|Ontario Truck Driving School||201-310 Hanna St E, Windsor, ON N8H 4W6||226-315-1098|
|Street Smarts Driving Education||2949 Dominion Blvd, Windsor, ON N9E 2N2||519-981-2211|
|Royal Driving School||3-3857 Howard Ave, Windsor, ON N9G 1N6||519-973-5533|
|Northstar Truck Driving School Ltd||5044 Walker Rd, Windsor, ON N9A 6J3||519-737-0444|
|Ontario Driving School||1602 University Ave W, Windsor, ON N9B 1C2||5192565662|
|Ontario Truck Driving School (Yard)||1333 College Ave, Windsor, ON N9B 1M8||519-258-9098|
|Allstar EZ Driving School||2385 Tecumseh Rd W, Windsor, ON N9B 1W2||519-419-3177|
|A Good Start Driver Education||3020 Devon Dr, Windsor, ON N8X 4L2||519-259-2745|
|Ontario Truck Driving School||310 Hanna St E, Windsor, ON N8X 4W6||226-773-3017|
|Young Drivers||130-215 Eugenie St W, Windsor, ON N8X 2X7||519-250-8611|
|New Delta Driving School||5-2521 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N8X 1T5||519-967-8383|
|Drive Test||2470 Dougall Avenue, Windsor, ON N8X 1T2||416-325-8580|
|Defensive Driving School||149 Tecumseh Rd W, Windsor, ON N8X 1E8||519-800-2308|
|Signal Truck & Forklift Driving School||1160 Central Ave, Windsor, ON N8Y 3T9||519-991-4444|
|Academy Driving School||2700 Central Ave, Windsor, ON N8W 4J5||519-997-3379|
|A Good Start Driver Education||3290 Jefferson Blvd, Windsor, ON N8T 2W8||519-259-2749|
Road Information for Windsor
- The Windsorite.com website compiles images from the Compass system and other traffic cameras in the Windsor area.
- The Ministry of Transportation maintains an interactive traffic map of the Windsor area. This map shows construction, closures and other events affecting vehicle travel in the Windsor area.
- The City of Windsor’s Construction web page lists both current and planned construction and maintenance.
- Local radio station AM 800 keeps a traffic information page in addition to on air traffic reports. The Morning Drive program, from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m., keeps listeners updated on rush hour traffic.
- Windsor’s seven day forecast from Environment Canada is found here.
- Windsor and area has a DriveTest Centre at Southgate Plaza, 2470 Dougall Avenue, at the corner of Eugenie Street West. There is a ServiceOntario outlet at this location as well.
Driving Facts for Windsor
- Highway 401 has an extension in the works to connect with the proposed Gordie Howe Bridge, a third general border crossing in Windsor. While the Canadian government aggressively pursues this project, backed by the state of Ohio and supported by the U.S. federal government, support in the Michigan senate has not been positive. The influence of the owner of the Ambassador Bridge, a for-profit private enterprise, blocks state senate approval, despite support from Michigan’s governor.
- The Ambassador Bridge carries about 25 percent of the trade between Canada and the U.S. The bridge is the busiest border crossing in North America. On average, 10,000 commercial vehicles cross the bridge daily. The Canadian end of the bridge connects to Huron Church Road, a regular city street, causing both congestion and dangerous conditions. The proposed Gordie Howe Bridge connects to the E.C. Row Expressway and the 401 directly, avoiding the problem of high traffic volumes funneled onto Windsor city streets.
- The owner of the Ambassador Bridge sued the Canadian and U.S. governments to stop development of the new bridge, proposing instead that the Ambassador Bridge be twinned, but his lawsuit was dismissed as having no practical merit. Twinning would only increase the problems Windsor experiences with cross-border traffic on its streets.
- Windsor is the only city located due south of an American city. It’s also the southernmost major city in Canada. Windsor is roughly even in latitude with the northern border of California. When Windsor sought city status in 1892, “South Detroit” was unsuccessfully proposed as a name for the new city.
List of Car Insurance Companies & Brokers in Windsor Ontario
|Lacivita Claudio Insurance Broker||Tecumseh, Windsor, ON N8N 2M6||519-979-5423|
|Will Insurance Brokers||13039 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8N 3T4||519-979-9111|
|All Risks Insurance||1591 Ouellette Ave, Windsor, ON N8N 1K5||519-997-2363|
|Sunlife Of Canada||456 Chambers Dr, Windsor, ON N8N 4R5||519-739-1223|
|Sun Life Financial||8255 Anchor Drive, Windsor, ON N8N 5G1||519-739-7777|
|Lanoue Ken Insce Broker Ltd||5915 Malden Rd, Windsor, ON N8H 1S6||519-966-6112|
|Kafka Insurance Brokers Ltd||7-3020 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N9E 1S4||519-966-0714|
|A & A Insurance Broker Ltd.||3220 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N9E 1S6||519-250-4111|
|State Farm Insurance||1304 Grand Marais Rd W, Windsor, ON N9E 1E4||519-967-1389|
|BrokerLink||2991 Longfellow Ave, Windsor, ON N9E 2L3||519-969-5910|
|Allstate Insurance Company of Canada||3920 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N9G 1X2||226-773-7348|
|State Farm Insurance||3835 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N9G 1X3||519-966-8555|
|David Seeley Insurance Services||4014 Kennedy Dr E, Windsor, ON N9G 1X8||519-252-0303|
|Easyinsure.ca||213-380 Pelissier St, Windsor, ON N9A 6W8||519-915-4837|
|The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company||1220 Harrison Ave, Windsor, ON N9C 3J5||519-252-6900|
|All Line Insurance||1878 Huron Church Rd, Windsor, ON N9C 2L5||519-250-0269|
|State Farm||1603 University Ave W, Windsor, ON N9B 1C3||519-254-5101|
|The Co-operators||5905 Malden Rd, Windsor, ON N9H 1S6||519-250-5152|
|Southland Insurance Brokers Inc||5881 Malden Rd, Windsor, ON N9H 1S5||519-969-9415|
|HollisWealth||314-3200 Deziel Dr, Windsor, ON N8X 5K8||226-315-1593|
|Desjardins||1-321 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8X 2R5||519-968-3599|
|State Farm Insurance||1A-280 Edinborough St, Windsor, ON N8X 3C4||519-972-7110|
|Colovic & Grundner Financial Services Inc||2557 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N8X 1T5||519-250-5444|
|Quan Nguyen||1A-2570 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N8X 1T6||519-966-8070|
|PBL Insurance Ltd||100-150 Ouellette Pl, Windsor, ON N8X 1L9||519-254-1633|
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Limited||1591 Ouellette Ave, Windsor, ON N8X 1K5||226-773-1769|
|Grant & Mingay Insurance Ltd||302-420 Kildare Rd, Windsor, ON N8Y 3G4||5192584743|
|Youngs Insurance Brokers||6-9733 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8R 1A5||519-979-9989|
|State Farm Insurance||9503 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8R 1A1||519-979-1998|
|Windsor Essex Insurance Brokers Ltd||7960 Clairview Ave, Windsor, ON N8S 1H9||519-974-4406|
|PBL Insurance Ltd||2800 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8W 1G4||519-251-0705|
|The Co-operators||3195 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8W 1G9||519-948-8886|
|Brian Price Insurance & Financial Services||1987 Ypres Ave, Windsor, ON N8W 1S7||226-887-0368|
|Masters Insurance||2999 Grand Marais Rd E, Windsor, ON N8W 1W5||519-977-8433|
|State Farm Insurance||4050 Walker Rd, Windsor, ON N8W 3T5||226-674-0791|
|Allstate Insurance Company of Canada||4115 Walker Rd, Windsor, ON N8W 3T6||226-773-7459|
|HUB International Ontario||3063 Walker Rd, Windsor, ON N8W 3R4||519-966-2600|
|Easyinsure.ca||300-3390 Walker Rd, Windsor, ON N8W 3S1||519-915-4667|
|CanAm Travel Insurance||3600 Rhodes Dr, Windsor, ON N8W 5A4||519-974-5995|
|Alliance Windsor Insurance Brokers||3100 Temple Dr, Windsor, ON N8W 5J6||519-973-7399|
|State Farm Insurance||4A-3357 Walker Rd, Windsor, ON N8W 5J7||519-972-9013|
|Sun Life Financial||508-3200 Deziel Dr, Windsor, ON N8W 5K8||519-974-3200|
|State Farm Insurance||5444 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8T 1C7||519-945-1131|
|Eagen Insurance||5940 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8T 1E3||519-988-0888|
|Uniac Auto Sales||3-6550 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8T 1E6||519-419-3387|
|The Benefits Company||2795 Kew Dr, Windsor, ON N8T 3B7||519-258-5948|
Finding the lowest car insurance rates for Windsor is easy when using Ratelab’s car insurance calculator. Start by entering your home postal code in the space provided below. Enter basic information about your driving history and car insurance needs and Ratelab returns the lowest prices from up to ten insurance providers to jump start your car insurance shopping. There’s no cost and no obligation to use the calculator, and you may save hundreds while finding the perfect match for your auto insurance needs.