Richmond Hill has long held a reputation as an affluent suburb of Toronto. As with many towns and cities in Ontario, settlement started around mills, focal points of agricultural regions. Today, Mill Pond on Mill Street, belie these quaint origins in Richmond Hill. As a community on Yonge Street, the early thoroughfare between Toronto and Barrie, the city has a central place in the Greater Toronto Area, one that attracted early waves of a suburban resident.
With the Oak Ridges Moraine taking up about 1/3 of the northern portion of the city, Richmond Hill is home to much biodiversity. While development has blown both hot and cold in the city, much of its area now sits under Ontario Greenbelt legislation, making new land use assignments more complex.
When Yonge Street expanded from two lanes to four in the early 1970s, relief from traffic congestion was popular. Growth throughout the GTA since then has seen the return of the issue. The proximity to Toronto as well as its other suburbs ensures high traffic volumes, and resulting from that is the common problem of high car insurance premiums.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Richmond Hill Ontario
- 2 Affordable Car Insurance in Richmond Hill
- 3 Customizing Car Insurance Coverage
- 4 Driving in Richmond Hill
- 5 List of Driving Schools in Richmond Hill Ontario
- 6 Road Information for Richmond Hill
- 7 Driving Facts for Richmond Hill
- 8 List of Car Richmond Hill Insurance Brokers, Agents, and Companies
How Much is Car Insurance in Richmond Hill Ontario
The table below shows Richmond Hill car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Richmond Hill*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in Richmond Hill for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Richmond Hill
Understanding car insurance for Richmond Hill requires knowledge of the Ontario auto insurance market. Regulated heavily and overseen by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, auto insurance is a mix of no fault as well as tort based insurance. Some benefits get paid by a driver’s insurer, regardless of accident fault, while injured parties retain the right to sue at-fault drivers after incidents.
Insurance policies themselves are written by private companies operating in a competitive market. Underwriting rules, as well as operating procedures, remain unique to each company. For motorists, this means that no two insurers charge exactly the same for similar policies. It could mean hundreds of dollars in savings for some drivers without substantial changes in coverage.
The key to pinpointing savings is first finding the providers with the lowest prices for the coverage needed, then fine-tuning a policy with the features and benefits important to the motorist. While every option added above the province’s required minimum adds to a policy’s cost, customizing coverage permits every driver to balance protection against premiums.
Customizing Car Insurance Coverage
Once a motorist locates a low-cost insurer, matching policy features and options to insurance needs is next. This generally comprises three steps.
- Topping up statutory coverage: Both liability and accident benefit coverage have supplemental enhancement with additional amounts if a driver chooses. Most Ontario auto insurance consumers add liability coverage beyond the minimum, and recent legislative changes may have more motorists upgrading accident benefits coverage as well.
- Adding insurance options: The major additions are usually collision and comprehensive insurance. Some motorists are surprised to find that these aren’t required by the Ontario government. They may, however, be mandated by lending agencies as a condition of car purchase financing. Most insurance companies have a list of further options a driver can choose.
- Money-saving options: Adjusting deductible levels up saves money on monthly premiums. Insurers each have a range of discounts or packages featuring a number of options at reduced prices. Drivers can learn of these from their agent or broker and request the addition of those for which they qualify.
Driving in Richmond Hill
- Bounded in the east by Highway 404, convenient high-volume north-south access to downtown Toronto follows this highway as it converts to the Don Valley Parkway as it crosses Highway 401.
- Toll Highway 407ETR runs along Richmond Hill’s southern border.
- Major Mackenzie Drive, as well as 16th Avenue, provide access west to Highway 400.
- Yonge Street remains a major four line north-south route through Richmond Hill.
- Richmond Hill’s commercial and industrial regions either follow Yonge Street or the area near the 404/407 intersection on the city’s border with Markham.
List of Driving Schools in Richmond Hill Ontario
|Wheels Driving School||211 A-5000 Dufferin St, Richmond Hill, ON M3H 5T5||905-780-8111|
|Tomorrow's Drivers||224-10720 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3C9||905-940-9972|
|All Star Driving School Ltd||10255 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3B2||905-883-8500|
|All Nation Driving School||6A Levendale Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 4H2||905-884-9000|
|Young Drivers||10330 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 5N1||905-737-0452|
|Alpha Driving School||23 Oneida Cres, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 0A2||647-292-1912|
|Nancy Lai & Johnny Ye||350 Hwy 7 E, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3N2||905-881-3088|
Road Information for Richmond Hill
- The City of Richmond Hill features a listing of road closures and lane restrictions on its website.
- York Region maintains similar road closure information for streets and roads in the area surrounding Richmond Hill.
- The Weather Network provides area forecasts for Richmond Hill on its website.
- The nearest DriveTest centre serving Richmond Hill is in Newmarket at 320 Harry Walker Parkway South.
- ServiceOntario has an outlet at Unit 4, 10909 Yonge Street in Richmond Hill.
- Broadcast media throughout the GTA include traffic information and current conditions for Richmond Hill through news and traffic reports on air and online.
Driving Facts for Richmond Hill
- Yonge Street, one of the oldest roads in Canada, follows the path of a trail between lakes Ontario and Simcoe. Early development of the road was done by settlers. They were granted land along the route on the condition that they clear 33 feet of frontage along the road.
- Hotels and taverns built the early economy of Richmond Hill, serving the horse drawn coach traffic along the Yonge Street route.
- The intersection of Yonge Street and Major Mackenzie Drive was traditionally the main crossroads of the area. Today, the downtown area runs from Major Mackenzie Drive to just north of Elgin Mills Drive.
- Early train routes by-passes Richmond Hill and it wasn’t until the late 1800s that an electric trolley route came to town to connect with Toronto. The new form of transportation quickly changed life in the town as stagecoach companies went out of business after the electric train’s introduction.
- Today, York Regional Transit runs bus service, including bus rapid transit routes. Two GO commuter train stops serve the city.
- The Toronto Transit Commission has plans to extend the Yonge/University subway line to Richmond Hill. Transit planning organization Metrolinx received funding in 2016 to coordinate the subway extension with the TTC and York Region.
List of Car Richmond Hill Insurance Brokers, Agents, and Companies
|Jason Ji Insurance||10830 Bayview Ave, Richmond Hill, ON L4S 1L7||905-237-9070|
|Allstate Insurance Company Of Canada||C1-1480 Major MacKenzie Dr E, Richmond Hill, ON L4S 0A1||905-508-2279|
|ATS Insurance||346 Newkirk Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 0A9||905-883-9602|
|Sotere Demangelos Real Estate||152 Church St S, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 1W6||905-884-8222|
|Cosburn Griffiths & Brandham Insurance Brok ers Ltd||Richmond Hill, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 2V7||905-883-0132|
|State Farm Insurance||205-10720 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3C9||905-884-2291|
|Fabbro & Douglas Insurance Brokers Ltd||42 Arnold Cres, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3R5||289-317-0780|
|The Insurance Group||26 Benson Ave, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 4E6||905-737-6177|
|Millennium Insurance Brokers||103-10350 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 5K9||905-737-6634|
|State Farm Insurance||17-9184 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 7A1||905-762-9566|
|Idris Insurance Brokers Ltd||10815 Bathurst St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9Y2||905-508-7772|
|State Farm Insurance||42-120 Newkirk Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9S7||905-884-1529|
|Sun Life Financial||500-9050 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9S6||905-886-2200|
|Tip Centre||9251 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9T3||905-482-0585|
|Anast Insurance Brokers||13-565 Edward Avenue, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9W8||905-780-9515|
|State Farm Insurance||407-9555 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9M5||905-883-5589|
|RBC Insurance||2-365 High Tech Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 4V9||905-764-1434|
|Lora Cai-Insurance Agent||9140 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 0A9||905-764-3262|
|Polywell Insurance & Financial Group||9030 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1G2||905-709-7533|
|Garvin-Mark Insurance Brokers||30 Fulton Way, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1E6||905-886-4913|
|Jd Associates Insurance Brokers Inc||105 West Beaver Creek Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1C6||905-764-7617|
|Taylor Financial Ltd||30 East Beaver Creek Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1J2||905-763-8555|
|Safeway Insurance & Financial Services||202-30 Fulton Way, Unit 8, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1J5||647-496-9861|
|York Alliance Insurance Brokers Inc||100 York Blvd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1J8||905-513-6990|
|Walter Roberts Inurance Brokers Inc||110 West Beaver Creek Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1J9||905-764-8063|
|Core Underwriting Services Inc||45A West Wilmot St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 2P2||289-597-3491|
|Fortuna Insurance Brokers||57 Southgate Cres, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 2E7||905-886-1651|
|Five Ways Insurance Brokers||3 Glenayr Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 2J5||905-883-8831|
|Beri Sudershen||650 Highway 7 E, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 2N7||905-762-1997|
|Serge Gingras Insurance||165 East Beaver Creek Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 2N2||905-763-7087|
|Woodyatt J B Insce Agencies Ltd||20 Wertheim Crt, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3A8||905-731-1984|
|State Farm Insurance||103-9011 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3B6||905-881-9199|
|Anthony Tsang Insurance Brokers Inc||600-95 Mural St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3G2||416-410-6868|
|Sks Financial||15 Wertheim Ct, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3H7||905-764-8779|
|Overseas Insurance Brokers Corp||2-30 West Beaver Creek Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3K1||905-764-8898|
|SSY Marathon Insurance Brokers Inc||1 West Pearce St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3K3||905-709-4744|
|Desjardins Financial Security Independent Network/Desjardins Financial Security Investments Inc||1-1550 16th Ave, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3K9||905-918-0460|
|Freedom Insurance Brokers Inc||214-9019 Bayview Ave, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3M6||1-855-244-7030|
|Firstchoice Financial||9040 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3M4||905-886-3815|
|Ted Chan Insurance||28-175 West Beaver Creek Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3M1||905-882-8833|
|Lipkus Insurance Brokers||52 Trinity Cres, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3L7||905-886-0029|
|World Financial Group||4-9078 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3L8||905-889-8138|
|Paisley-Manor Insurance Brokers Inc||350 Highway 7 E, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3N2||416-510-1177|
|Alliance Income Services Corp||301-1595 16th Ave, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3N9||647-557-2511|
|Johnson Insurance||700-1595 16th Avenue, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3S5||289-319-0669|
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Limited||A203-11685 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4E 0K7||905-884-1777|
|Lucia Solomon||5-12276 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4E 0W5||905-508-8999|
|State Farm Insurance||103-13311 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4E 3L6||905-773-9782|
Finding the best rates on car insurance in Richmond Hill means comparison shopping. The best way to search through the widest number of insurance companies is through Ratelab’s car insurance calculator. With just a few minutes of time, a motorist receives the best quotes from dozens of Ratelab’s insurance industry partners. Enter your home postal code below to try it for yourself.