At the northeastern terminus of the Golden Horseshoe, Oshawa is also at the eastern boundary of the Greater Toronto Area. With about 150,ooo residents in the city itself, Oshawa is part of a metropolitan area over twice that size. The city has history as a major player in the Canadian automobile industry. The McLaughlin Carriage Works became the McLaughlin Motor Car Company in 1907 and soon partnered with Buick and Chevrolet, producing cars first under the McLaughlin name, then later under the better known American brands as part of Canada’s version of General Motors.
Today, Oshawa and Windsor both claim to be the Automotive Capital of Canada, and both have a legitimate claim to the title. Oshawa, as a bedroom community for the GTA, has a strong car-driven presence. Its proximity to Toronto brings some of the attendant big city driving issues.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Oshawa Ontario
- 2 Affordable Car Insurance in Oshawa
- 3 Driving in Oshawa
- 4 List of Driving Schools in Oshawa
- 5 Road Information for Oshawa
- 6 Driving Facts for Oshawa
- 7 List of Insurance Companies and Brokers in Oshawa
How Much is Car Insurance in Oshawa Ontario
The table below shows Oshawa car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Oshawa*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in Oshawa for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Oshawa
As with any Ontario city, all vehicles on the roads require mandatory amounts of insurance coverage. This coverage includes third party liability coverage of $200,000 as well as several other classes of insurance, but doesn’t feature collision or comprehensive portions. Most Oshawa motorists increase the liability amount. Coverage of $500,000 or $1 million gives greater protection against lawsuits resulting from an at fault accident.
Collision and comprehensive insurance, considered optional by the Ontario government, may be required when a motorist finances an automobile purchase. Lenders may insist on this coverage for protection of the new purchase. While this drives up the cost of coverage, adjusting the deductible amount can fine tune policy premiums. Raising the deductible amount puts more responsibility on the driver in the aftermath of an accident, but it reduces the premiums for both collision and comprehensive insurance.
Discounts reduce auto insurance premiums too. Most insurers offer a number of discounts. Using winter tires, participating in telematics programs and combining home and auto insurance with the same company are just a few typical discount types. To save money, a driver must request the discount from their insurer. It’s rare that an insurance company adds discounts automatically.
Driving in Oshawa
- The 401 is the main artery connecting Oshawa with the rest of the developed area along the northern Lake Ontario shore. Provincial Highway 2, known as King Street as it passes through the city, runs parallel to the 401. Bond Street also runs parallel to these and handles westbound traffic through the city centre, while King Street supports travel to the east.
- The 401 through Oshawa can frequently be reduced to bumper to bumper conditions due to volume, particularly during rush hours. The southern curve on the east side of the city at the GM plant typically represents the end of congestion from GTA traffic.
- The original north-south route through Oshawa is Simcoe Street, originally a settler’s road to aid development further inland from the lake. Simcoe Street starts at the Oshawa harbour and continues north to the Kawartha Lakes area.
- Four exits serve Oshawa off the 401. Stevenson Road, on the west side, replaced the Park Road exit with a full cloverleaf style interchange. Simcoe Street has a westbound on ramp and eastbound off ramp only. Ritson Road and Bloor Street East/Harmony Road handle traffic on the east end of town.
- Toll highway 407 current has its eastern terminus north of Oshawa at Harmony Road. Further development of the 407 to Clarington, east of Oshawa is planned for completion by 2020.
- Oshawa’s city streets are, for the most part, laid out in a grid based on its Lake Ontario waterfront. North-south streets run slightly northwest to southeast. East-west routes tilt east southeast to west southwest. This street orientation extends from Etobicoke in the west to Belleville.
List of Driving Schools in Oshawa
|Drive Test||200 John St.West, Oshawa, ON L1J 2B4||416-325-8580|
|Smart Choice Driving School||650 King St E, Oshawa, ON L1H 1G5||289-312-1550|
|Old Timer's Truck Driving School Inc||1082 Thimbleberry Cir, Oshawa, ON L1K 2H2||905-404-0111|
|Oshawa Driving School||200-342 King St W, Oshawa, ON L1J 2J9||905-728-0091|
|Peter's Academy Of Defensive Driving||1210 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4W9||905-728-0171|
|Provincial Driving School||202-633 King St E, Oshawa, ON L1H 1G3||905-436-9402|
|Ontario Truck Training Academy||99 Wentworth St E, Oshawa, ON L1H 3V6||905-723-1211|
|ECS||1010 Glen St, Oshawa, ON L1J 6J2||905-809-2786|
Road Information for Oshawa
- The City of Oshawa maintains an online list of street and sidewalk closures due to construction and maintenance. As well as the usual where and when, the Oshawa site includes why the incident occurs.
- The Ministry of Transportation for Ontario has a traffic report page for the Durham region, including Oshawa, Durham’s largest city.
- Highway401traffic.com provides a convenient link to Google’s map with real time traffic overlaid.
- A short-term weather report for Oshawa provided by the Weather Network is located here.
- Toronto radio station 680 News reports traffic and weather together six times an hour “on the ones.” The station covers traffic throughout the Golden Horseshoe region, including Oshawa. The station also live tweets traffic issues and tie-ups on Twitter. Another feature for motorists, GTA gas prices and price increases are reported through the station’s site.
Driving Facts for Oshawa
- Oshawa’s name comes from the Ojibwa language. One story holds that the word means, “where we leave our canoes.” As a result, the name of one of Canada’s premier automotive cities means “where we get out and walk.”
- In the entire 828 km length of the 401, only Oshawa had the highway built through the town, requiring property expropriations and demolition of hundreds of houses. The original section, completed in 1947, extended to Ritson Road. Extension to Newcastle finished by 1952. It wasn’t until 1964 that the 401 became complete from Windsor to the Quebec border.
- Along with other communities on the north shore of Lake Ontario, VIA Rail’s Windsor-Quebec City corridor stops in Oshawa. GO Trains also connect the Oshawa station with Union Station in Toronto while GO bus service to the station connects with Oshawa’s downtown bus station. GO buses connect with Clarington and Peterborough, extending the service.
- Oshawa’s city transit rolled into Durham Region Transit in 2006. Buses provide local transit.
- The Oshawa regional airport has customs and immigration facilities but is not yet supporting international flights. Pearson airport, 75 km to the east, is the nearest international airport.
- The Port of Oshawa upgraded to a federal Port Authority in 2009. Many locals wanted to see ownership changed to municipal hands for recreational development. The port remains active in the steel and automotive industries.
List of Insurance Companies and Brokers in Oshawa
|State Farm Insurance||78 Centre Street N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4B6||905-725-7700|
|The Co-operators||218 Centre St N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4C5||289-274-6717|
|Petley-Hare Ltd||1180 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4W8||905-433-4200|
|Burrows Insurance Group Inc||909 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4W1||289-274-6068|
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Limited||202-1050 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4W5||289-634-1634|
|Roughley Insurance Brokers Ltd||1000 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4W4||289-312-1529|
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Ltd||1271 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, ON L1G 4X1||905-723-6376|
|Cip Caib||220 Ormond Dr, Oshawa, ON L1G 6T5||905-434-1449|
|The Co-Operators||1288 Ritson Rd N, Oshawa, ON L1G 7Z9||905-720-3045|
|Gallagher Ed Insurance Agency Ltd||7-50 Richmond St E, Oshawa, ON L1G 7C7||905-728-7551|
|Marmac Financial Services Limited||21-1330 Trowbridge Dr, Oshawa, ON L1G 7L1||905-433-2004|
|C Fred Ball & Associates||847 Carnaby Cres, Oshawa, ON L1G 2Y7||905-571-3499|
|State Farm Insurance||206-58 Rossland Rd W, Oshawa, ON L1G 2V5||905-579-7231|
|Compstat Business Insurance Ag||442 Meadow St, Oshawa, ON L1L 1C1||289-240-3230|
|State Farm Insurance||1231 Harmony Road North, Oshawa, ON L1K 2B1||905-433-1823|
|McDougall Insurance & Financial||500-379 Bond St W, Oshawa, ON L1J 8R7||905-723-1169|
|Dehart & Stauffer||843 King St W, Oshawa, ON L1J 2L4||289-274-2539|
|Abrams Insurance & Investment Solutions||510-419 King St W, Oshawa, ON L1J 2K5||289-274-2283|
|Henninger Insurance & Financial Services||342 King St W, Oshawa, ON L1J 2J9||905-571-1042|
|Schofield-Aker Insurance Brokers||337 King St W, Oshawa, ON L1J 2J8||905-723-2265|
|RBC Insurance||200-550 Laval Dr, Oshawa, ON L1J 0B5||905-579-8229|
|Lowe Steve Insurance & Financial Services||61 Nassau St, Oshawa, ON L1J 4A3||905-404-2226|
|WB White Insurance||110 King St E, Oshawa, ON L1H 1B6||289-236-1839|
|Worden Insurance & Financial Services Ltd||172 King St E, Oshawa, ON L1H 1B7||905-579-1317|
|Capesky Insurance & Wealth||78 Albert St, Oshawa, ON L1H 4P9||905-245-9971|
|State Farm Insurance||4-600 Grandview St S, Oshawa, ON L1H 8P4||905-576-3276|
Oshawa drivers can find the best car insurance rates through Ratelab’s car insurance calculator. Start with your postal code entered in the space below. Ratelab guides you through the rest of the form, identifying your car insurance needs. Receive up to 10 auto insurance quotes in just minutes.