With the early economy built around agriculture and ship building, Oakville’s proximity with Toronto and position within the Golden Horseshoe assured its prosperity as the region developed. Chosen as the head office and main factory for Ford Motor Company of Canada, Oakville still hosts a commercial-industrial strip bordering the QEW.
While the QEW is certainly prominent, running the length of the town, much of the traffic is just passing through. This is consistent with the town’s history. The road that became Dundas Street was first surveyed as a military road in the 18th century. It wasn’t until the early 19th century that settlers formed a community around the road, almost 5 km from the Lake Ontario shore. The importance of water travel at the time assured that others settled on the lake, around the mouth of Sixteen Mile Creek.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Oakville Ontario
- 2 Affordable Car Insurance in Oakville Ontario
- 3 Statutory Auto Insurance Coverage in Ontario
- 4 Driving in Oakville Ontario
- 5 List of Driving Schools in Oakville Ontario
- 6 Road Information for Oakville Ontario
- 7 Driving Facts for Oakville
- 8 List of Oakville Auto Insurance Brokers, Agents, and Companies
How Much is Car Insurance in Oakville Ontario
The table below shows Oakville car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Oakville*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in Oakville for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Oakville Ontario
As with all Ontario communities, Oakville’s drivers must ensure all cars have insurance. While the province’s insurance market, supplied by private insurers, remains competitive, the industry is highly regulated. All insurance companies follow regulations as part of their certification. In spite of this, each company has its own underwriting procedure. This can mean that similar policies from various companies have widely varying costs. This is good news for the insurance consumer.
The bad news is that claims and strict regulations combine to make Ontario the most expensive province for car insurance. The provincial government aggressively pursues ways to cut back costs for residents, but there’s still a long way to go before Ontario reaches the middle of the pack nationally.
Statutory Auto Insurance Coverage in Ontario
The province requires a mandatory level of coverage. No insurer can sell less than this amount. The levels of statutory coverage create a problem. The amounts of insurance specified for accident benefits, and more crucially, third party liability, aren’t adequate to protect drivers in all circumstances. While motorists have options to add coverage, this drives up the price of an auto insurance policy.
Changes to accident benefit coverage in June 2016 reduced the amount insurance companies pay for health and rehabilitation costs stemming from an accident. While the changes won’t affect every person involved in an accident, in some situations, insurers pay only half of the amount prior to changes.
Liability coverage is more likely to fall short without buying optional insurance. The province of Ontario requires only $200,000 in third party liability coverage for cars on the road. While this amount is similar to most other provincial plans, it may not be enough to pay settlement costs for a serious at fault accident. Accident awards of $300,000 or greater are not uncommon. The driver remains responsible for amounts paid beyond insurance coverage. Most Ontario drivers buy extra coverage.
Collision and comprehensive insurance are not part of the provincial requirements for coverage. Most drivers add these to help with repair and replacement costs after an accident.
Driving in Oakville Ontario
- Most of the traffic through Oakville travels via the QEW. From the west, through Oakville, Highway 403 runs concurrently with the QEW. The 403 breaks off north of Ford Drive, eventually running between Burnhamthorpe Road and Eglington Avenue for a high-volume route through Mississauga.
- The QEW/403 feature high occupancy vehicle lanes through Oakville. Cars must have two occupants, including the driver, to use the HOV lanes. During special events, such as the Pan Am Games, requirements are three occupants, including the driver.
- Highway 407ETR runs roughly parallel with the QEW through Oakville, north of Dundas St. The 407ETR shares an interchange with the QEW and 403 as it turns north toward the 401, after which it resumes its east-west direction.
- Oakville’s road grids base off surveyed lake frontage on Lake Ontario. North-south and east-west routes tilt about 45 degrees off true compass directions.
- Major north-s0uth town routes include Bronte Road, Third Line, Dorval Drive, Trafalgar Road and Ninth Line, west to east.
- East-west arteries feature Dundas Street, Upper Middle Road, Speers Road, Rebecca Street as well as Lakeshore Road, north to south.
List of Driving Schools in Oakville Ontario
|Skid Control School||576 Bronte Rd, Oakville, ON L6L 6S1||905-827-5413|
|Drive Test||2370 Wyecroft Road, Oakville, ON L6L 5L7||1-888-570-6110|
|Student Drivers Training Inc||C3-1011 Upper Middle Rd E, Oakville, ON L6H 5Z9||905-338-5512|
|Astor Driving School Inc||1422 Abbeywood Dr, Oakville, ON L6M 2K4||416-825-5959|
|Drive Force Driving School Inc||2336 Lakeshore Rd W, Oakville, ON L6L 1H5||905-599-2625|
|Ultimate Drivers||213-407 Speers Rd, Oakville, ON L6K 3T5||905-825-1172|
|ABC Driving School||215-345 Lakeshore Rd E, Oakville, ON L6J 1J5||289-813-2028|
|DRIVEWISE Oakville||235 Lakeshore Rd E, Oakville, ON L6J 1H7||905-845-7200|
|G1 G2 Driving School||3-1395 Abbeywood Dr, Oakville, ON L6M 3B2||905-484-3435|
Road Information for Oakville Ontario
- The Ministry of Transportation for Ontario maintains a traveller’s information page for Halton Region, including Oakville.
- The MTO also provides online traffic camera information. Cameras in Oakville list in the Burlington/Mississauga area.
- Halton Region provides road and travel information for the region on its website.
- The Weather Network carries short and long term weather forecasts for Oakville and area.
- CTV News Toronto consolidates traffic as well as road conditions for the Golden Horseshoe Region on its website. Information comes from several sources, including the MTO and Google Maps.
- Oakville’s DriveTest centre is located at 2370 Wyecroft Road.
Driving Facts for Oakville
- Dundas Street, surveyed as a military road, was meant to connect Toronto with London, Ontario. At the time, London was intended to be the capital of Upper Canada, though this never came to pass.
- The QEW grew from The Middle Road, a route between Toronto and Hamilton, and the current QEW still follows the original route faithfully. The Middle Road wasn’t the first paved Toronto-Hamilton Road, but as early as 1920, bumper to bumper traffic made additional capacity necessary.
- The QEW developed as Canada’s first controlled access highway, modeled on the German autobahns. The QEW also served as model for the later Highway 401. Highway 401 may be the single most important contributor to the economic and industrial success experienced in Ontario, according to some.
List of Oakville Auto Insurance Brokers, Agents, and Companies
|Allstate Insurance Company Of Canada||203 North Service Rd W, Oakville, ON L6M 3R2||905-465-4400|
|State Farm Insurance||6-1500 Heritage Way, Oakville, ON L6M 3H4||905-847-1898|
|Dominion Of Canada||1275 North Service Rd W, Oakville, ON L6M 3G4||905-825-6400|
|State Farm Insurance||100-243 North Service Rd W, Oakville, ON L6M 3E5||905-339-3276|
|WSC Insurance Group||1075 North Service Rd W, Oakville, ON L6M 2G2||905-827-9811|
|Sunlise Assurance Company Of Canada||200 North Service Rd W, Oakville, ON L6M 2Y1||905-338-3791|
|Precision Insurance Services||2124 Lumberman Lane, Oakville, ON L6M 2Y9||905-847-2349|
|Ten Star Insurance Brokers Inc||1175 North Service Rd W, Oakville, ON L6M 2W1||905-847-0771|
|Canadian Financial Insurance Brokers Ltd||3539 Stedford Rd, Oakville, ON L6L 6G1||905-469-8096|
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Limited||18-2345 Wyecroft Road, OakvillE, ON L6L 6L8||905-847-0400|
|The Co-operators||24-3420 Rebecca St, Oakville, ON L6L 6W2||905-465-1625|
|Lamont Financial Inc||428 Maplehurst Ave, Oakville, ON L6L 4Y7||905-842-1117|
|Armour Insurance Brokers||1200 Speers Rd, Oakville, ON L6L 2X4||905-849-1500|
|K Enrnst Insurance||2448 Lakeshore Rd W, Oakville, ON L6L 1H7||9058272626|
|Dobson & Toncic Insurance Brokers Limited||2020 Winston Park Dr, Oakville, ON L6H 6X7||905-829-2907|
|Axion-Skanes Insurance Solutions||478 Dundas St W, Oakville, ON L6H 6Y3||289-813-8277|
|Sk Marine Cargo Surveyors||2340 Dalebrook Dr, Oakville, ON L6H 6K2||289-981-1567|
|State Farm Insurance||3040 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, ON L6H 7B9||905-257-7773|
|Carlos Soares||201-231 Oak Park Blvd, Oakville, ON L6H 7S8||905-845-5236|
|MCI Insurance Evaluations||1011 Upper Middle Rd E, Oakville, ON L6H 4L5||905-849-4818|
|The Co-operatorsL6H4L4||A13-1011 Upper Middle Rd E, Oakville, ON L6H 4L1||905-845-2865|
|McGowan Insurance Services Ltd||391 March Cres, Oakville, ON L6H 5X7||905-257-1600|
|Guardian Insurance & Financial Inc||2870 Portland Dr, Oakville, ON L6H 5W8||905-844-9961|
|Shield Logos Insurance Inc||2150 Winston Park Dr, Oakville, ON L6H 5V1||289-815-0101|
|Neziol Insurance Group||203-2421 Bristol Cir, Oakville, ON L6H 5S9||9058473200|
|State Farm Insurance||1226 White Oaks Blvd, Oakville, ON L6H 2B9||905-842-1020|
|Hartland Insurance Brokers Limited||2095 Granby Dr, Oakville, ON L6H 3Y4||289-813-8132|
|HUB International Ontario Ltd||700-2265 Upper Middle Rd E, Oakville, ON L6H 0G5||905-847-5500|
|Catherine Thompson Insurance Ltd||2952 Kingsway Dr, Oakville, ON L6J 6V1||905-829-5693|
|Oakin Insurance Brokers Limited||603 Argus Rd, Oakville, ON L6J 6G6||289-813-3996|
|Prisma Health||1297 Winterbourne Dr, Oakville, ON L6J 7E4||905-829-5715|
|State Farm Insurance||102-2904 South Sheridan Way, Oakville, ON L6J 7L7||905-829-0018|
|Dulude Taylor Inc||2861 Sherwood Heights Dr, Oakville, ON L6J 7K1||905-257-3535|
|BrokerLink||102-1320 Cornwall Rd, Oakville, ON L6J 7W5||905-337-7968|
|The Bayshire Group||40 Old Mill Rd, Oakville, ON L6J 7W2||905-849-9990|
|RBC Insurance||107A-361 Cornwall Rd, Oakville, ON L6J 7Z5||905-815-8121|
|Powell Insurance||349 Davis Rd, Oakville, ON L6J 2X2||905-815-9952|
|The Co-operators||591 Argus Rd, Oakville, ON L6J 3J4||905-469-9100|
|Wagner J R Realty Ltd||156 Trafalgar Rd, Oakville, ON L6J 3G6||905-845-9990|
|State Farm Insurance||105-165 Cross Ave, Oakville, ON L6J 0A9||905-337-3276|
|Meadowvale Insurance Brokers Ltd||159 Church St, Oakville, ON L6J 1N1||289-291-1070|
|Sun Life Financial||401-277 Lakeshore Rd E, Oakville, ON L6J 1H9||905-337-0039|
|Affiliated Insurance Management Ltd||344 Lakeshore Rd E, Oakville, ON L6J 1J6||905-845-4201|
|Oakville Insurance Brokers||215-345 Lakeshore Rd E, Oakville, ON L6J 1J5||905-845-0391|
|DPB Insurance & Financial Services||305 Lakeshore Rd E, Oakville, ON L6J 1J3||905-842-7275|
|Parro Insurance & Financial Services||215 Weybourne Rd, Oakville, ON L6K 2T7||905-815-8631|
|Oakes John F & Associates Insurance Agencies Ltd||287 River Side Dr, Oakville, ON L6K 3N3||905-842-7255|
|Plan Your Future||79 Wilson St, Oakville, ON L6K 3G4||647-496-2725|
|Morison Insurance Brokers Inc.||112 Wilson St, Oakville, ON L6K 3G6||905-338-6888|
|Fava Insurance Brokers||366 Kerr St, Oakville, ON L6K 3B8||905-844-5148|
|Belairdirect Pet Insurance||710 Dorval Dr, Oakville, ON L6K 3V7||905-842-1027|
|St Andrews Insurance Brokers Ltd||200-466 Morden Rd, Oakville, ON L6K 3W4||905-845-0110|
Shopping for car insurance in Oakville? Use the car insurance calculator here at Ratelab to access the lowest rates for the most appropriate coverage. Simply enter your home postal code and start the process. Ratelab walks you through the simple information process to identify your auto insurance needs, and then it shops your policy with dozens of insurance industry partners, producing up to 10 low cost quotes. It takes only a few minutes. Try it now!