As with many settlements in the early history of Upper Canada, Milton first grew around a mill. In this case, it was a grist mill using water collected in Mill Pond for power. Currently the centerpiece in Centennial Park, Mill Pond formed from the damming of Sixteen Mile Creek.
Milton is currently growing very fast as a bedroom community for the Greater Toronto Area. Also part of the Golden Horseshoe industrial region, development roughly divides at the 401, with industry and agriculture north of the highway and residential and commercial areas to the south.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Milton
The average cost of car insurance in Milton is $1,293.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Milton*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in the city of Milton for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Milton
Car insurance in Milton probably works out about average for an Ontario driver living in an urban area. Those living in Belleville and Kingston pay less, while the northern suburbs of Toronto, such as Brampton and Vaughan, pay more.
The Financial Services Commission of Ontario regulates auto insurance in the province, but the market remains competitive, supplied by private insurance companies. This benefits those motorists prepared to shop aggressively for the best rates for the insurance products they need. Every insurance company has its own actuarial and underwriting procedures. This means that, though insurance rates are based on many common data, insurers may show hundreds of dollars difference between similar policies.
All Ontario vehicles start with a basic policy required by law and to this, additional coverage is usually added. The provision for third-party liability insurance, for example, won’t cover settlements from major accidents. Motorists usually add coverage in excess of the required $200,000. As well as liability, accident benefits are frequently upgraded beyond the minimum. Since the government reduced accident benefits coverage in June 2016, this becomes an increasing priority for many drivers.
Adding options to a basic auto insurance policy further customizes coverage. Comprehensive and collision insurance pays for the bulk of car damage or loss for insurable incidents. With these endorsements in place, the insurance company pays for repairs or replacement, minus the driver’s deductible amount. Other optional endorsements protect against a host of more specific risks. For example, new car owners often purchase replacement value coverage. The options available on any policy depend on those offered by the issuing company.
Driving in Milton
- Highway 401 dominates life in Milton. As well as dividing the city into industrial and residential zones, it’s the main east-west artery for intercity traffic through the area.
- Britannia Road, Derry Road, and Steeles Avenue also provide east-west access to and from Milton. These routes frequently clog with commuter traffic during rush hours, and several projects aim to improve capacity and alleviate congestion.
- Tremaine, Bronte Street, Ontario Street, Thompson Road, and the James Snow Parkway provide major north-south routes. Only Tremaine and James Snowcross the 401.
- Highway 25 and the James Snow Parkway are the main Milton interchanges on the 401. Guelph Line and Trafalgar Road also have 401 interchanges, west, and east of Milton, respectively.
- Taking grid bearings from its Lake Ontario frontage, Milton and Halton Region feature road grids almost 45 degrees off true north-south directions.
List of Driving Schools in Milton Ontario
|Wheels Driver Training Ltd||245 Commercial St, Milton, ON L9T 2J3||905-878-4135|
|ABC Driving School||18 Martin St, Milton, ON L9T 2P9||289-270-3863|
|Drivesafe Canada||924 Pickersgill Cres, Milton, ON L9T 7T5||647-886-1365|
|DRIVEWISE||550 Ontario St S, Milton, ON L9T 5E4||289-270-3424|
|ABBA Driving School||810 Nipissing Rd, Milton, ON L9T 4Z9||905-693-9944|
Road Information for Milton
- The Ministry of Transportation for Ontario provides road information for regions around the province. The traffic report for Halton includes information for the city of Milton.
- The City of Milton provides road closure information as well as other information on construction and maintenance plans on the city’s web pages.
- Halton Region carries similar information on its website, as well as a variety of transportation topics.
- The Weather Network provides forecast information for Milton and the area.
- The nearest DriveTest center to Milton is the Oakville location at 2370 Wyecroft Road.
- At least nine service centers and garages offer DriveClean testing in Milton.
- There are at least 11 agents and brokers selling auto insurance in Milton. Nearby cities add dozens more, and direct insurance writers, selling policies online, become more common.
- Broadcast radio driving conditions from AM570 in Kitchener and AM 680 Toronto report on traffic in the Milton area, particularly Highway 401. Traffic tie-ups due to accidents on city routes frequently feature.
Driving Facts for Milton
- A truck fire in 1986 caused such intense heat that the James Snow Parkway bridge over the 401 melted, requiring its replacement.
- Milton is the first urbanized area the 401 passes through after descending the Niagara Escarpment. Between Guelph and Milton, the highway wanders somewhat to take advantage of natural breaks in the bedrock. Though the Escarpment is the same geological formation that Niagara Falls cascades over, there is little sensation of steep descent when coming down into Milton. The highway emerges in a natural cut north of a ski hill coming down the escarpment.
- When traveling the 401 east to Toronto, Milton is usually the first point a driver can encounter congested traffic. Speeds usually climb back to normal east of the city until at least the 407ETR junction near Winston Churchill Boulevard.
- Milton is home to the square-headed Robertson Screw. P.L. Robertson came up with the idea for a screw with a square slot after cutting himself with a straight slot screwdriver that slipped, a common problem. Patenting a cold rolling method of manufacture, Ford’s Model T used over 700 Robertson screws, saving about 2 hours of construction time per car. Henry Ford tried to buy the patent, but Robertson refused. The owner of the Phillips head screw had no such hesitation and Ford switched to the cross socket. Robertson screws remain popular mostly in Canada. Harder to strip than a Phillips screw, they are also easy to use one-handed, as the screw locks onto the screwdriver blade easily, surface tension holding it in place.
List of Car Insurance Brokers and Companies in Milton Ontario
|BrokerLink||1A-775 Main St E, Milton, ON L9T 3Z3||905-876-4607|
|RBC Insurance||F6-65 Ontario St S, Milton, ON L9T 2M3||905-875-3144|
|Ken Armstrong Insurance & Financial Services||245 Commercial St, Milton, ON L9T 2J3||905-878-0951|
|Alan Jones Insurance Brokers Ltd||369 Martin St, Milton, ON L9T 2R8||905-864-9110|
|State Farm Insurance||8193 Esquesing Line, Milton, ON L9T 2X9||905-636-0290|
|State Farm Insurance||485 Main St East, Milton, ON L9T 1R1||905-878-8109|
|Austen Noble Insca||205 Main E, Milton, ON L9T 1N7||9058789958|
|McCuaig Insurance Ltd||208 Main St E, Milton, ON L9T 1N8||905-878-2894|
|The Co-operators||621 Holly Ave, Milton, ON L9T 0G3||905-878-8176|
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Ltd Kevin Martel||212-420 Bronte St S, Milton, ON L9T 0H9||905-699-1318|
|Allstate Insurance Company of Canada||71 James Snow Pky N, Milton, ON L9T 0R3||289-270-0325|
|PGI Financial Inc||330 Bronte St S, Milton, ON L9T 7X1||905-876-0562|
|Sun Life Financial||E201-6911 Derry Rd, Milton, ON L9T 7H5||905-878-6799|
|Tish Wilson||201-10220 Derry Rd, Milton, ON L9T 7J3||905-864-6900|
|Amplex Insurance Brokers Ltd||1219 Christie Cir, Milton, ON L9T 6V4||905-864-0057|
|Youngs Insurance Brokers||1080 Barclay Cir, Milton, ON L9T 5W3||905-875-1003|
|Halton Accident Support Services Ltd||490 Childs Dr, Milton, ON L9T 5G2||9056361147|
Driving in Milton is more affordable when motorists use Ratelab’s car insurance calculator to find the best coverage at the lowest rates. Enter your home postal code in the space provided below to start the search for savings.