Motorists living in Kitchener belong to a sprawling metropolitan area including nearby cities of Waterloo and Cambridge. Situated on the north side of Highway 401, Kitchener is less than an hour’s drive to the western city limits of Toronto.
Despite the close proximity to the Greater Toronto Area, Kitchener isn’t subject to the same big city effects on car insurance. While some drivers in the Toronto suburbs can pay over $2,000 annually even with a good driving record, a 36-year old single male living in Kitchener and driving a 4-year old sedan pays only about $1,175 annually. Many factors affect car insurance rates and each driver’s choices change rates as well. Your rates may vary.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Kitchener Ontario
- 2 Affordable Car Insurance in Kitchener
- 3 Driving in Kitchener
- 4 Road Information for Kitchener
- 5 Driving Facts for Kitchener
- 6 List of Driving Schools in Kitchener
- 7 List of Kitchener Car Insurance Companies & Brokers
How Much is Car Insurance in Kitchener Ontario
The table below shows Kitchener car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Kitchener*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in Kitchener for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Kitchener
Kitchener is well served by the insurance industry. In fact, a number of insurance companies have headquarters in the area. Finding agents and brokers is easy. This aids the motorist who shops for the best rates in auto insurance by comparing quotes.
That job is even easier using the Ratelab car insurance calculator, accessed right here on this web page. Entering your postal code and completing your personal car insurance information generates up to 10 no-cost, no-obligation quotes. Generating quotes and contacting the insurers offering the best rates assures that you’re looking at the lowest costs while having a selection of policies to choose from.
Car insurance in Ontario can be customized to any driver’s needs. Most insurance companies offer a wide range of options to the standard provincial insurance policy. As well, many drivers qualify for discounts. Adding additional drivers, cars and coupling your home and auto insurance usually save money on each policy. Safe driving and loyalty discounts are other common discounts. The savvy insurance consumer frequently asks their agent or broker if they qualify for additional discounts. Insurance companies won’t generally add these automatically.
Driving in Kitchener
- The Kitchener area found settlers arriving before government surveyors. Unlike most areas in Ontario, laid out in precise grids often based on the shorelines of one of the three Great Lakes surrounding the southern province, Kitchener has a more European feel. German Mennonite settlers surveyed their own roads and a more continental, radial pattern, similar to villages in Germany and Switzerland.
- Kitchener itself had a more Germanic identity. From 1854 until 1916, the city’s name was Berlin, after the German capital. Patriotic sentiment during the First World War prompted the change to Kitchener, honouring an Irish-born British war hero from the African campaigns and Second Boer War.
- During the 1960s, the municipal governments recognized the need to support growing automobile traffic for the future. Several projects started then allowed the area to boast a network of controlled access corridors that effectively extended the reach of Highway 401 into Waterloo.
- Kitchener and Waterloo abut each other. Driving along King Street, a motorist enters Waterloo with none of the usual thinning of development found between most neighbouring cities. The area has long been known as “K-W” for Kitchener-Waterloo, though the cities retain separate municipal governments.
- The problem areas for the 401 at rush hours settle between Highways 8 and 24 at Cambridge. Construction is currently underway to expand the 401 between these points.
- Kitchener’s proximity to the GTA has made the K-W area a bedroom community for Toronto commuters. Rush hour congestion can start around Milton, though usually good speeds maintain until Winston Churchill Boulevard when travelling into the GTA.
Road Information for Kitchener
- The City of Kitchener maintains several web pages advising of road closures, construction and future planned projects.
- Local radio station 570 NEWS reports traffic six times per hour “on the ones;” :01, :11, :21, :31, :41 and :51. The station also tweets current news about traffic tie-ups and incidents through Twitter.
- The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario reports winter road conditions. The K-W area experiences frequent severe winter weather conditions including lake effect snow off of Lake Huron and occasionally Georgian Bay. Kitchener and surrounding regions report in the Southwestern Ontario region.
- Short term weather forecast for Kitchener is found here.
Driving Facts for Kitchener
- The Conestoga Parkway, the major road construction project of the 1960s, runs from New Hamburg in the west to King Street, where it turns north to Waterloo, veering back to the northwest and ending near St. Jacobs, north of the K-W area. The provincial highway designation for the Parkway includes highways 7, 8 and 85 over its length.
- Victoria Street, provincial highway 7, is the main route out of Kitchener to the east and on to Guelph. A new highway project, starting at the Wellington Street exit of the Parkway, will run north and parallel to Victoria Street.
- Currently, interchanges on the 401 serving Kitchener are located at Highway 8 (King St.) and Homer Watson Boulevard. The municipal governments support an addition exit at Trussler Road, to support growth to the west of the city. The MTO currently has no plans to develop this.
- Due to Waterloo on the north, Cambridge to the south and Breslau to the east, Kitchener’s best growth options are westward.
- Because of the original settlers’ street layout, Kitchener’s north-south and east-west street designations are only marginally accurate compared to compass points. King Street East and West runs almost perfectly northwest and southeast for most of its run through Kitchener. North-south streets are even more misnamed, as these don’t run perpendicular to King Street. Victoria St. North runs far closer to east-west than to north-south.
- Rail transit is not strongly supported in Kitchener. While its train station is located conveniently near downtown at King and Victoria, most passenger rail traffic uses the southern line from London through Brantford and Oakville rather than the northern route from London to Stratford to Kitchener.
List of Driving Schools in Kitchener
|Sara's KW Driving Academy||A-50 Ontario St S, Kitchener, ON N2G 1X4||519-725-1603|
|Continental Driving School||205-259 King St W, Kitchener, ON N2G 1B1||519-744-9111|
|International Driving School||3-41 River Rd E, Kitchener, ON N2B 2G3||519-894-6726|
|Auto Driving School||82 Country Clair St, Kitchener, ON N2A 4M7||519-568-8210|
|Ultimate Drivers||319-301 King St E, Kitchener, ON N2G 2L2||519-954-2266|
|VIP Driving School||25 Manitou Dr, Kitchener, ON N2C 1K9||519-574-8344|
|Ogi's Driving School||5 Manitou Dr, Kitchener, ON N2C 2J6||519-722-1988|
|Maz's Truck and Bus Driver Training||1295 Fischer Hallman Rd, Kitchener, ON N2R 1P6||519-745-2270|
|Conestoga Driving School||30 148 Peel St, Kitchener, ON N3A 1E7||519-603-5003|
|Conestoga Driving School||336 King St W, Kitchener, ON N2G 1B7||519-603-5001|
|Dominion Driving Schools||87 Ontario St, Kitchener, ON N2G 1X5||519-279-4824|
|Advanced Road Craft||44 Beasley Dr, Kitchener, ON N2E 1Y6||226-243-5224|
|Young Drivers||421 Greenbrook Dr, Kitchener, ON N2M 4K1||519-579-4800|
List of Kitchener Car Insurance Companies & Brokers
|Elvis Garcia||107-123 Pioneer Dr, Kitchener, ON N2P 2A3||519-748-0022|
|Kuntz H Manufacturing Inc||49 Spring, Kitchener, ON N0B 2N0||519-588-0713|
|The Co-operators||450 Belmont Ave W, Kitchener, ON N2M 1N3||226-243-5300|
|Rice Inc||690 Belmont Ave W, Kitchener, ON N2M 1N6||519-745-2530|
|D A Kurt Insurance Broker Ltd||604 Belmont Ave W, Kitchener, ON N2M 1N5||226-243-1098|
|Tina Nitu Insurance Brokers||100 Highland Rd W, Kitchener, ON N2M 3B5||519-570-0566|
|Levitt Insurance Brokers||7 Dayman Crt, Kitchener, ON N2M 3A1||519-743-8060|
|Regal Insurance Brokers Inc||2-428 Gage Ave, Kitchener, ON N2M 5C9||519-578-7170|
|State Farm Insurance||10-851 Fischer Hallman Road N, Kitchener, ON N2M 5N8||519-749-6346|
|State Farm Insurance||17-450 Westheights Dr, Kitchener, ON N2N 2B9||519-579-0543|
|Bernhardt Insurance Service Ltd||151 Ontario St N, Kitchener, ON N2H 4Y5||519-743-6303|
|Condotta Merrett & Company Insurance Brokers Inc||1-300 Victoria St N, Kitchener, ON N2H 6R9||226-243-0307|
|GMS Insurance (Swo) Inc||25 Irvin St, Kitchener, ON N2H 1K6||519-579-9693|
|State Farm Insurance||213-120 Ottawa St N, Kitchener, ON N2H 3K5||226-647-5253|
|Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers Limited||30 Queen St N, Kitchener, ON N2H 2G8||226-444-2270|
|E Bollenbach Insurance Brokers Ltd||268 Frederick St, Kitchener, ON N2H 2N4||226-243-0356|
|Schwegel Richard Insurance||321 Frederick St, Kitchener, ON N2H 2N8||226-214-4504|
|Pioneer Insurance||385 Frederick St, Kitchener, ON N2H 2P2||519-744-4481|
|Economical Insurance||590 Riverbend Dr, Kitchener, ON N2K 3S2||519-570-8335|
|Scott Jeff Insce Broker-Call Nuernberger &Scott Limited||744 King St E, Kitchener, ON N2G 2M5||519-578-1985|
|Malleck R J Insurance Brokers Limited||603 King St E, Kitchener, ON N2G 2M2||519-743-7777|
|H R Fischer Insurance Services O/B Jeffery & Spence Ltd||1167 King St E, Kitchener, ON N2G 2N3||226-214-4745|
|Marsh's Private Client Services||1100-55 King St W, Kitchener, ON N2G 4W1||519-593-1600|
|The Co-operators||700 Strasburg Rd, Kitchener, ON N2E 2M2||226-243-5444|
|Allstate Insurance Company Of Canada||606-1187 Fischer Hallman Rd, Kitchener, ON N2E 4H9||226-214-4684|
|H L Staebler Company Ltd||871 Victoria St N, Kitchener, ON N2B 3S4||519-743-5221|
|The Co-operators||3-1151 Victoria St N, Kitchener, ON N2B 3C8||226-243-5330|
|Hancock Insurance Brokers||1244 Victoria St N, Kitchener, ON N2B 3C9||519-743-1401|
|KW Insurance Brokers||501 Krug St, Kitchener, ON N2B 1L3||519-744-4190|
|State Farm Insurance||4-5 Manitou Dr, Kitchener, ON N2C 2J6||519-748-5010|
|PPI Advisory||235 Ardelt Ave, Kitchener, ON N2C 2M3||519-578-6814|
|State Farm Insurance||302-1601 River Rd E, Kitchener, ON N2A 3Y4||519-893-0611|
|RBC Insurance||B-1020 Ottawa St N, Kitchener, ON N2A 3Z3||519-894-2515|
|Josslin Insurance||1082 Weber St E, Kitchener, ON N2A 1B8||226-243-5379|
|KW Insurance Brokers||63 Parkview Cres, Kitchener, ON N2A 1M1||519-896-1106|
|Vijay Sankar||328 Old Chicopee Trail, Kitchener, ON N2A 4C8||519-896-6625|
Kitchener motorists find the best auto insurance rates through careful comparison shopping. The more insurers compared, the better the chance to find the lowest rates. Use Ratelab’s car insurance calculator to sort through dozens of competing quotes without contacting every company separately. Begin the process by entering your postal code below to start the search process. The more accurate your information, the closer your quotes will be to the actual policy cost.