Located roughly halfway between Toronto and Montreal, Kingston began its life after British armed forces conquered New France. The city became the first capital of Canada in 1841, though only for three years. Around the same era, Queen’s University opened, establishing Kingston as an educational centre. Fort Henry and a series of Martello towers guarded the entrance to the Rideau Canal. Canada’s first large prison, the Kingston Penitentiary, also opened in this time period. Today, the city has an institutionally based economy with a population just over 120,000 people. Nicknamed The Limestone City, the name Kingston is a shortening of “The King’s Town,” in honour of King George III.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Kingston Ontario
- 2 Mandatory Coverage
- 3 Driving in Kingston
- 4 List of Driving Schools in Kingston Ontario
- 5 Road Information for Kingston
- 6 Driving Facts for Kingston
- 7 List of Auto Insurance Companies and Brokers in Kingston Ontario
How Much is Car Insurance in Kingston Ontario
The table below shows Kingston car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Kingston*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in the city of Kingston for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Though no longer a political leader in Ontario, Kingston is home to the least expensive car insurance rates in the province. While the rest of Ontario has an average of about $1,400 for auto insurance, the average Kingston driver pays over $500 less for the same coverage. While individual policies vary widely due to driving records and claims history, other factors contributing to insurance premium calculations are moderate in their effects on Kingston motorists.
Insurance premiums depend on many factors combined to determine the price. A driver’s personal history is balanced with statistical information and the car insurance products chosen to create a policy’s price. More products, upgrades, and services mean higher prices, but some choices have further features that may alter the price a motorist pays. The strategies for saving on the already low Kingston rates are the same as for any community in Ontario. A motorist’s driving record and insurance claims history is the most significant influence on auto insurance premiums. Without a clean record, insurance costs rise.
Maintaining basic mandatory coverage keeps monthly premiums low, but it may be false economy. The Ontario government requires only $200,000 in third party liability coverage. While is is a common level of coverage across Canada, it may not be enough. Third party liability protects a driver against lawsuits following an at-fault collision. In a serious accident, these costs can easily run higher than $200,000. The driver is responsible paying amounts in excess of the coverage.
Raising deductible limits on optional comprehensive and collision coverage provides premium relief. Discounts and promotions offered by insurers also reduce the total insurance bill, though a motorist usually needs to ask an insurer to apply discounts. Few companies automatically add discounts when a driver qualifies for their addition.
Driving in Kingston
- Traffic in the city is light by urban standards. Congestion does occur downtown and in some outer business sections. For a major city in Canada, Kingston is relatively sparsely populated.
- Population density influences the geographical effects of insurance claims within a postal region. A motorist’s neighbours have statistically less effect due to the spread of insurance claims over a wider area that more densely packed cities.
- The large student base may play a role in lower car insurance premiums. Queen’s University, Royal Military College and St. Lawrence College add to the city’s seasonal population. Many students, however, may have listed residences elsewhere. When listed on family car insurance policies, their driving statistics will factor in for their home address.
- The 401, running north of the city, provides a robust backbone artery, allowing quick movement between Kingston and outlying residential areas.
- Urban development of Kingston currently ends at the 401, and the surrounding area remains largely agricultural or wilderness.
- The Cataraqui River divides the central part of the city, connected only by Highway 2 over the La Salle Causeway. The bridge in the middle of the Causeway periodically raises to permit boat traffic, bringing traffic on the 4 lane roadway to a temporary halt.
- The 5-minute drive from the Kingston downtown waterfront to RMC on the east side of the Cataraqui becomes about half an hour when avoiding the La Salle Causeway.
List of Driving Schools in Kingston Ontario
|Driver Training||1113 Westbrook Rd, Kingston, ON K7P 2V7||613-384-0055|
|First Route Learning Center||1128 Clyde Crt, Kingston, ON K7P 2E4||613-389-0043|
|North American Transport Driving Academy||7-598 Cataraqui Woods Dr, Kingston, ON K7P 1T8||613-634-8881|
|Limestone Driving Academy||1121 John Counter Blvd, Kingston, ON K7K 6C7||613-507-5005|
|Joe's Driving School||322 Queen St, Kingston, ON K7K 1B8||613-544-7081|
|Drive Test||1-381 Select Dr, Kingston, ON K7M 8R1||613-545-1117|
|Access Driving School||1748 Bath Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 4Y2||613-384-9900|
|Excel Driving School||645 Gardiners, Kingston, ON K7M 3Y4||613-389-0445|
|Excel Driving School||561 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7L 1C8||613-544-0040|
|DriveABLE / Kingston||101-11 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7L 1A1||613-544-0034|
|Crossroads Truck Training Academy||2-1525 Centennial Dr, Kingston, ON K7L 0K4||613-389-6000|
|Bernie's Driving Lessons||104 Helen St, Kingston, ON K7L 4P3||613-542-5367|
Road Information for Kingston
- The City of Kingston maintains a website with information on road closures due to construction, maintenance and events.
- The Ministry of Transportation for Ontario hosts traffic reports and road closures specifically for Eastern Ontario, including Kingston.
- Kingston Information Radio offers listeners a 10-minute loop of traffic information, weather and other local information.
- The Weather Network provides online short term weather reports for the city and surrounding areas.
- Kingston’s DriveTest Centre is located at 381 Select Drive, near the intersection of Centennial Drive and Princess Street.
- Over 15 garages and service centres offer certified DriveClean emissions testing.
- A similar number of agents and brokers offer car insurance within Kingston.
Driving Facts for Kingston
- The Wolfe Island Ferry operates year round from the Kingston waterfront. Operated by the MTO, the ferry is free. On Wolfe Island, there is a summer dock in Marysville, the largest community on the island, and a winter dock at Dawson Point. Wolfe Island is the largest of the Thousand Islands of the St. Lawrence River.
- A ferry operates between Point Alexandria on Wolfe Island and Cape Vincent, New York. It’s one of only three privately operated border crossings between Canada and the U.S. The Ambassador Bridge in Windsor and the Bluewater Ferry, near Sarnia, are the other two.
- Amherst Island, 10 km west of Kingston, has ferry service originating from the town of Millhaven. Amherst Island is not part of the Thousand Islands chain. Simcoe Island is the westernmost in the archipelago.
- Highway 2 is named Highway 2 east of the Cataraqui River. On the west, it briefly follows Ontario Street before turning west using Queen and Princess Streets due to the one way status of Princess on the east side of Division Street. West of Division, Highway 2 follows Princess Street out of town.
List of Auto Insurance Companies and Brokers in Kingston Ontario
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Limited||7-775 Strand Blvd, Kingston, ON K7P 2S7||613-417-0673|
|Batson Scott Financial & Insurance||621 Norris Crt, Kingston, ON K7P 2R9||613-389-3869|
|Navigators Insurance Brokers Ltd||9-847 Norwest Rd, Kingston, ON K7P 2N3||613-389-5167|
|State Farm Insurance||2804 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7P 1W9||613-389-9801|
|State Farm Insurance||1040 Gardiners Rd, Kingston, ON K7P 1R7||613-389-9221|
|Workers' Compensation Board||234 Concession St, Kingston, ON K7K 6W6||613-544-9682|
|UCCIG||321 Concession St, Kingston, ON K7K 2B9||613-544-1904|
|Manley Financial Group||190 Binnington Crt, Kingston, ON K7M 8R6||613-544-4055|
|Sun Life Financial||101-1471 John Counter Blvd, Kingston, ON K7M 8S8||613-545-9660|
|The Co-Operators||1473 John Counter Blvd, Kingston, ON K7M 8Z6||613-384-4700|
|Voima Financial Inc||735D Arlington Park Pl, Kingston, ON K7M 8M8||613-766-2369|
|Bronskill Insurance Brokers||735A Arlington Park Pl, Kingston, ON K7M 8H9||613-384-0267|
|State Farm Insurance||658 Progress Av, Kingston, ON K7M 4W9||613-389-9711|
|The Co-Operators||1699 Bath Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 4X1||613-900-0381|
|State Farm Insurance||1786 Bath Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 4Y2||613-634-2420|
|Michael R Smith And Associates Inc||104-785 Midpark Dr, Kingston, ON K7M 7G3||613-909-6396|
|State Farm Insurance||730 Front Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 6P7||613-389-9260|
|Holway & Hutchinson Insurance Brokers||515 Gardiners Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 3Y2||613-389-8811|
|Johnson Insurance||5-759 Gardiners Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 3Y5||613-417-0547|
|Allstate Insurance Company of Canada||21-656 Gardiners Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 3X9||613-777-8799|
|Dorey Tolgyesi Insurance Brokers Ltd||541 Days Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 3R8||613-389-9966|
|Surnet Insurance Group Kingston||992 Purdy Mills Rd, Kingston, ON K7M 3M9||613-544-9312|
|The Co-Operators||2400 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7M 3G4||613-900-0359|
|Guardsman Insurance Services Inc||2447 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7M 3G1||613-549-8777|
|The Co-Operators||1309 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7M 3E3||613-900-0388|
|State Farm Insurance||102-574 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7L 1C9||613-530-2628|
|Physicians Insurance Centre||113 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7L 1A8||613-542-0950|
|Strategic Benefits & Insurance Services Ltd||114-945 Princess St, Kingston, ON K7L 0E9||613-507-4400|
|State Farm Insurance||760 County Rd 15, Kingston, ON K7L 5H6||613-536-5532|
|Shaw Earl Insurance Brokers Ltd||2001 Hwy 15, Kingston, ON K7L 4V3||1-877-269-6170|
|Thousand Islands Insurance & Financial Group Ltd||PO Box 189 Stn Main, Kingston, ON K7L 4V8||613-542-4440|
The best way to save big on car insurance is comparison shopping. Ratelab’s car insurance calculator effectively shops a very wide range of insurers, based on your car insurance needs. Enter your postal code below to start your free, no obligation quote process. Even drivers in Kingston can save!