Along with Milton to the north, Burlington forms the western boundary of the Greater Toronto Area. It’s also the turning point for the Golden Horseshoe, an informal name for the 8 million people living in the industrial region around the west end of Lake Ontario. The Golden Horseshoe extends from Oshawa to Niagara Falls.
With its position in the region, life in Burlington is car oriented. The Queen Elizabeth Way, Highway 403 and Highway 407ETR provide high volume expressway service through the city.
Though the city once had commercial docks serving the logging industry, the area switched over to general agriculture, leaving shipping to the protected waters within Burlington Bay, to the west. The growing towns of York, to the east, and Hamilton to the southwest meant that the Burlington area has always been a through point for traffic. This results in a diverse economy today. No one sector or employer dominates. The transportation infrastructure and central location in the Golden Horseshoe provide appeal to a number of industries, ensuring Burlington’s viability for the future.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Burlington Ontario
- 2 Affordable Car Insurance in Burlington
- 3 Statutory Insurance in Ontario
- 4 Driving in Burlington
- 5 List of Driving Schools in Burlington Ontario
- 6 Road Information for Burlington
- 7 Driving Facts for Burlington
- 8 List of Insurance Brokers in Burlington Ontario
How Much is Car Insurance in Burlington Ontario
The table below shows Burlington car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Burlington*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in the city of Burlington for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Burlington
Though other cities in the GTA, such as Brampton, can cost the same driver over $600 more for insurance, Burlington motorists can use the same money-saving techniques to keep auto insurance prices down. The private and competitive market in Ontario encourages competition between car insurance providers. Overseen by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, the industry, while highly regulated, permits individual companies to set their own policies and procedures. Provided these meet FSCO approval, these procedures permit each company to hunt for a competitive edge. That’s why some insurers offer certain policies at greatly reduced costs. Motorists who aggressively compare prices can usually save money.
Statutory Insurance in Ontario
Basic coverage in the province is mandatory. To drive on the province’s roads, every car requires insurance. Basic coverage has only four areas of protection, though. These sections are:
- Third Person Liability: $200,000 in coverage is the minimum requirement.
- Statutory Accidents Benefits: these cover medical and rehabilitation costs beyond those covered by provincial health plans.
- Direct Compensation Property Damage: when another person causes an accident, you’re entitled to benefits, but these are paid by your own insurance company in some situations.
- Unidentified/Uninsured Motorist: applying to hit and run accidents or those involving a driver illegally operating a vehicle without proper insurance, this coverage protects you where another insurer may not be involved.
Additions to the mandatory coverage amounts are common options for many drivers. In particular, third party liability coverage may not be adequate at $200,000. Increasing coverage to $500,000 or beyond commonly occurs. Statutory accident benefits can be extended in a similar way.
Notice that collision and comprehensive coverage are not part of the mandatory package. While some situations cover repairs under the mandatory policy, additional endorsements protect a motorist in virtually all situations. Not only do many drivers want this coverage, banks and other loan providers may insist on it as part of financing a car.
The cost of collision and comprehensive insurance is partly offset by raising deductible limits.
Driving in Burlington
- Traffic in Burlington is dominated by the controlled-access expressways in the city.
- The QEW was, for many years, the only high volume route through Burlington. A short section of the 403 extended west, connecting to Highway 6 and Hamilton mountain.
- The 403 now extends from Highway 401 and Highway 410 in the east to Highway 401 at Woodstock in the west.
- Highway 407ETR has its western terminus at the 403, slightly west of where the 403 joins the QEW.
- There is no direct access from the QEW westbound to the 407ETR. The toll route can be accessed by entering the QEW at Fairview Street or directly onto the 407ETR at Dundas Street between Guelph Line and Walkers Line or at Appleby Line.
- East-west traffic through the city from the QEW to eastern city limits use primarily Lakeshore Road, New Street and Fairvew Street. West of the QEW, Plains Road dominates south of the 403, to the Royal Botanical Gardens.
- Major north-south routes through the city are, west to east, Brant Street, Guelph Line, Walkers Line, Appleby Line and Burloak Drive.
- High Occupancy Vehicle lanes start in the west on the QEW/403 at Burlington. Vehicles must have two or more occupants, including the driver, to use these lanes. HOV requirements increased to three or more occupants during the Pan Am games.
List of Driving Schools in Burlington Ontario
|G Class Driver Ltd||3040 New St, Burlington, ON L7N 1M5||905-634-1112|
|G1 G2 Driving School||5327 Upper Middle Rd, Burlington, ON L7L 0E9||905-630-6000|
|Drive Sense Driving School||2230 Mountainside Dr, Burlington, ON L7P 1B5||905-407-4661|
|DriveWise Burlington||2201 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7P 3N8||905-335-1966|
|Defensive Drivers Halton||1377 Lakeshore Rd, Burlington, ON L7S 1B1||905-637-3233|
|ABC Driving School||45 - 760 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7R 4B8||289-812-4545|
|Universal Driving School||484 Guelph Line, Burlington, ON L7R 3L9||905-333-3899|
|Dorothy's Driving School||5-498A Brant St, Burlington, ON L7R 2G4||905-637-2148|
|Ultimate Drivers Burlington||591 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7R 2G6||905-335-6292|
Road Information for Burlington
- The Ministry of Transportation for Ontario provides an interactive map of the Burlington and Mississauga region.
- Burlington also has coverage on the MTO’s Hamilton traffic report page.
- The City of Burlington reports road closures on its web pages.
- Local TV station CHCH reports on area road conditions, including Burlington.
- The Weather Network provides both short and long-term weather outlooks for Burlington and surrounding area.
- Three DriveTest facilities serve the Burlington area. These are at the Burlington Power Centre, 1250 Brant Street, unit #2; 2370 Wyecroft Road in Oakville and 370 Kenora Avenue in Stoney Creek.
Driving Facts for Burlington
- The QEW began life as a work project during the depression. In the mid-1930s, plans adapted to develop the road in the image of the German autobahns. This meant separating the road by lanes of travel and adding interchanges above or below the grade of travel. When it opened in 1937, the QEW was the first intercity divided highway in Canada or the U.S.
- The QEW was also the longest continuously illuminated road in the world at that time.
- The highway belongs to Ontario’s 400-series highways, though its administrative designation, Highway 451, doesn’t see public use.
- The “Elizabeth” in the highway’s name is King George V’s wife, Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. This was the current Queen Elizabeth’s mother.
- Half of the skyway over the canal into Burlington Bay is within Burlington city limits.
List of Insurance Brokers in Burlington Ontario
|Elliott & Crawford Ins Ltd||215-3385 Harvester Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3N2||289-812-7945|
|Holton Insurance & Financial Services||3425 Harvester Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3N1||905-634-1122|
|Johnson Inc||3310 S Service Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3M6||905-631-6122|
|Guidance Financial Services||108-3050 Harvester Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3J1||905-631-6599|
|Morison Insurance Brokers Inc||3380 South Service Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3J5||905-639-0681|
|Youngs Insurance Brokers||3602 Henshaw Pl, Burlington, ON L7N 3X1||905-632-5768|
|Pv & V Insurance Center L||3410 South Service Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3T2||905-632-1713|
|O'Connor & Associates Benefit Brokers||3190 Harvester Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3T1||905-333-8558|
|Brownhill Gordon Insurance Brokers Limited||3455 Harvester Rd, Burlington, ON L7N 3P2||905-639-9624|
|TK Woodmar Insurance||835 Harrington Crt, Burlington, ON L7N 3P3||905-639-3311|
|The Co-Operators||520 Walker's Line, Burlington, ON L7N 2E2||905-333-5275|
|Dalton Timmis Insurance||600-1100 Walker's Line, Burlington, ON L7N 2G3||905-633-9019|
|Haber Blain Insurance||3018 New St, Burlington, ON L7N 1M5||905-631-6767|
|The Economical Insurance Group||4463 Concord Pl, Burlington, ON L7L 1J5||905-639-6004|
|All-risks Insurance Brokers Ltd||2-5014 New St, Burlington, ON L7L 1V1||905-632-2100|
|Youngs Insurance Brokers||5060 Fairview St, Burlington, ON L7L 0B4||289-337-4001|
|RBC Insurance||G2-2485 Appleby Line, Burlington, ON L7L 0B6||905-332-2551|
|Allstate Insurance Company of Canada||1940 Appleby Line, Burlington, ON L7L 0B7||289-288-5070|
|Canadian Universities Reciprocal Insurance Exchange (C U R I E)||5000 North Service, Burlington, ON L7L 6W6||905-336-3366|
|Harry & Company||500-5575 North Service Rd, Burlington, ON L7L 6M1||905-599-4961|
|State Farm Insurance||2-1800 Appleby Line, Burlington, ON L7L 6A1||905-335-8245|
|D.b. Thomas Insurance Brokers Inc||4145 North Service Rd, Burlington, ON L7L 6A3||905-336-5377|
|Global Reinsurance||1016 Sutton Dr, Burlington, ON L7L 6B8||905-335-8265|
|State Farm Insurance||102B-1100 Burloak Dr, Burlington, ON L7L 6B2||905-319-3553|
|State Farm Insurance||6-4380 South Service Rd, Burlington, ON L7L 5R8||905-632-9000|
|TK Woodmar Insurance||2380 Headon Rd, Burlington, ON L7M 4E2||9056351090|
|Utter Morris Insurance Brokers Limited||5-3070 Mainway, Burlington, ON L7M 3X1||905-332-7877|
|The Co-operators||1450 Headon Rd, Burlington, ON L7M 3Z5||905-681-1977|
|State Farm Insurance||3528 Mainway, Burlington, ON L7M 1A8||289-348-1032|
|MacDowell Insurance Brokers Limited||3523A Mainway, Burlington, ON L7M 1A9||289-812-0021|
|Advance Insurance Services Ltd||3077 Mainway, Burlington, ON L7M 1A1||905-681-1160|
|Insurance Project Consultants||1389 Allangrove Dr, Burlington, ON L7M 1J4||905-639-1785|
|The Co-operators||1253 Silvan Forest Dr, Burlington, ON L7M 0B7||905-332-7777|
|Mac Vanderhout Insurance Brokers Limited||102-1005 Skyview Dr, Burlington, ON L7P 5B1||905-336-5001|
|State Farm Insurance||8-2400 Guelph Line, Burlington, ON L7P 4M7||905-315-9220|
|State Farm Insurance||108-2201 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7P 3N8||905-335-2975|
|Theys Insurance Ltd||460 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7R 4B6||905-315-9624|
|Pearson Dunn Insurance Inc||399 Elizabeth St, Burlington, ON L7R 0A4||905-631-9090|
|Imperial Life Insurance||923 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7R 2J6||289-337-8755|
|Tripemco Burlington Insurance Group Limited||440 Elizabeth St, Burlington, ON L7R 2M1||905-333-3074|
|Coons David H Insurance Brokers Limited||574 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7R 2G8||905-632-2305|
|Wardell Insurance||431 Brant St, Burlington, ON L7R 2G3||905-634-5239|
|State Farm Insurance||B3A-645 Plains Rd E, Burlington, ON L7T 4J5||905-681-8126|
|Sweet Lemons||B4-1010 Downsview Dr, Burlington, ON L7T 4H8||289-812-3818|
|The Co-operators||460 Plains Rd E, Burlington, ON L7T 2E1||905-681-3500|
|Preston Insurance Services||242 Plains Rd E, Burlington, ON L7T 2C3||905-633-8877|
Burlington drivers can find the best auto insurance quotes using Ratelab’s car insurance calculator. This insurance search engine scans Ratelab’s industry partners for the policy that best meets your car insurance needs. Enter your postal code below to start the free service. In just a few minutes, you’ll have up to 10 estimates including the lowest rates you can pay for your car insurance policy.