The City of Barrie, on the shores of Kempenfelt Bay, an arm of Lake Simcoe, emerged as a bedroom community for Toronto and the rest of the Greater Toronto Area. Its location on Highway 400 provides convenient access to the larger cities to the south, while acting as a gateway to cottage country in the north. About 32 percent of the local population commute out of Barrie for employment destinations. On the flip side, 28 percent of the city’s workforce commute into Barrie, so the net outflow is only 4 percent. It means, however, a lot of vehicles in and out of the city on a daily basis.
- 1 How Much is Car Insurance in Barrie Ontario
- 2 Affordable Car Insurance in Barrie
- 3 Driving in Barrie
- 4 List of Driving Schools in Barrie Ontario
- 5 Road Information for Barrie
- 6 Driving Facts for Barrie
- 7 List of Insurance Broker and Companies in Barrie
How Much is Car Insurance in Barrie Ontario
The table below shows Barrie car insurance cost for a sample driver.
|Quote Date||Average Auto Insurance Cost in Barrie*|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car with an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the car insurance prices in the city of Barrie for the purpose of illustrating the range in quotes based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
Affordable Car Insurance in Barrie
Obtaining car insurance in Barrie through an agent, broker or direct provider meets provincial standards for mandatory auto insurance coverage. Choosing an insurance company at random may not provide the most affordable policy. Ontario’s car insurance market works on a competitive basis, even though it’s regulated by the provincial government. Every insurer proposes its own rules for calculating prices and no two insurers work the same way. The best method of finding lower premiums involves comparison shopping.
Insurance premiums base on a number of factors and each company weighs these factors in different ways. Though there’s an impression that most companies charge similar rates, in practice, it’s not the case. Sometimes there are hundreds of dollars of difference between insurers, and a driver could easily pay too much. Ratelab’s car insurance calculator, on this page, offers a convenient way to search multiple auto insurance providers quickly and easily.
Modifying auto insurance coverage permits a driver to adjust the price and protection offered by a policy. Extending standard coverage over provincial minimums remains a popular choice and most drivers fine-tune other aspects of coverage. Those who travel frequently, for instance, may add car rental coverage to their policies, escaping the high cost of collision damage waivers offered by rental agencies. Insurers offer a wide range of options and discounts. Check with your agent or broker to see what’s available to you.
Driving in Barrie
- With the 400 as the primary route in and out of the city, congestion becomes an issue frequently, particularly south of the Bayfield Street interchange. Friday afternoons and evenings in the summer can prove particularly bad as both commuter traffic and vacationers heading north combine.
- Sunday afternoons and evenings, the congestion switches to the north. The intersection of highway 400, heading to Parry Sound, and highway 11, to Orillia and Huntsville, becomes a major bottleneck with vehicles returning from cottage country.
- Highway 26, Bayfield Street within Barrie, provides the major route to the west toward Collingwood. Lake Simcoe blocks travel to the east.
- Traffic within Barrie generally benefits from numerous 4 lane streets but the changing angles of the street grids to follow the waterfront complicate some intersections. For example, Dunlop, Bayfield and Clapperton Streets come together in a 5-way intersection.
- Barrie stays connected to the GTA through both GO bus and train service, providing intercity commuters with non-driving options. Traditional passenger rail services no longer connect with Barrie.
List of Driving Schools in Barrie Ontario
|We For Driving||123 Ferndale Dr S, Barrie, ON L4N 6Y6||705-252-4245|
|Barrie Driving School||35 Cedar Pointe Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 5R7||705-728-0194|
|Sportexcel Consulting||119 Marshall St, Barrie, ON L4N 4K7||705-720-2291|
|Ray's Driving School||68C Maple Ave, Barrie, ON L4N 1R8||705-727-1410|
|Darrell's Driver Training||92 Caplan Ave, Barrie, ON L4N 0Z7||705-719-6275|
|Drive Test||7-520 Bryne Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 9P6||705-739-6990|
|Crossroads Truck Training Academy (Barrie)||49 Truman Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 8Y7||705-881-9509|
|Drive Wise||E 121 Commerce Park Dr, Barrie, ON L4M 8X1||705-730-1130|
|Ultimate Drivers||359 Bayfield St, Barrie, ON L4M 3C3||705-725-0123|
|Barrie Learning Centre||320 Bayfield St, Barrie, ON L4M 3C1||705-725-8360|
|All Star Driving School||4-477 Grove St E, Barrie, ON L4M 6M3||705-730-0440|
|Skill Builders Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Centre||100 Bell Farm Rd, Barrie, ON L4M 5K5||705-727-0319|
|McCarthy's A B E Zee Driving School||3-4 Alliance Blvd, Barrie, ON L4M 5J1||705-733-8788|
|Fox Dens Driving Range||560 Anne St N, Barrie, ON L4M 4S4||705-725-9797|
Road Information for Barrie
- The Ministry of Ontario maintains traveller’s information for the Simcoe region around Barrie. Construction and road closures for provincially maintained roads are reported there.
- The County of Simcoe reports seasonal road conditions in Barrie and area on its website.
- Barrie’s municipal website has a wealth of information to aid people moving in and around the city. This includes current road closures due to municipal projects.
- Short term weather reports for the Barrie area are found here.
- Barrie has a provincial DriveTest location at 520 Bryne Drive, Unit 7.
- A number of garages and mechanics in Barrie provide licensed DriveClean emissions testing and repair.
- ServiceOntario has three Barrie locations: 34 Simcoe Street, #102; 274 Burton Avenue, #21; and 320 Bayfield Street, #104.
Driving Facts for Barrie
- Highway 400 was the first fully controlled access highway in Ontario. Opened in 1952, it was also the first highway to carry a 400-series designation. Three sections of older highway were dubbed the 401 at the same time, but that highway was not yet complete or controlled access.
- The 400 is the second longest highway in Ontario, after the 401. Currently 226 km long, the 400 starts at Black Creek and Maple Leaf Drives in the south and extends past Parry Sound, reverting into two-lane Highway 69 north of Nobel. Highway 69 widens to a separated 4-lane road at the French River north to Sudbury. This section will be designated as the 400 when the section between Nobel and the French River becomes widened.
- The 400 is also designated as the Trans-Canada Highway south route from Highway 12 at Waubaushene to its northern terminus.
- Highway 400 escaped serious damage in the 1985 tornado outbreak in the Barrie area that caused widespread damage and 12 deaths. Several cars were blown off the road, but the drivers escaped with minor injuries.
- Highway 26, the main route west out of Barrie, extending to Highway 6 at Owen Sound, remains largely unchanged since it opened in 1927. The portion of 26 east of Highway 400, Bayfield Street, transferred to the City of Barrie in 1998.
- Barrie was once home to a 1/3-mile, tri-oval motor racing track. Barrie Speedway opened in 1965, north of the city at Oro-Medonte 8th Line. Suffering from declining crowds and participants, the owners of neighbouring Burl’s Creek Event Grounds purchased and demolished the track in 2015.
- Downhill skiing in winter is easily accessible from Barrie. Horseshoe Valley and Mount St. Louis Moonstone are minutes north of town, while the resorts of the Blue Mountains are 40 minutes west on Highway 26.
List of Insurance Broker and Companies in Barrie
|R G Leslie Insurance Agencies||7 Mapleridge Rd, Barrie, ON L0L 2L0||705-721-1940|
|The Co-operators||6-353 Anne St N, Barrie, ON L4N 7Z9||705-417-1812|
|Allstate Insurance Company of Canada||421 Bryne Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 6C8||705-417-1763|
|Troy Emmerson||11-51 King St, Barrie, ON L4N 6B5||705-302-2201|
|TRV Insurance||61 Elizabeth St, Barrie, ON L4N 6M4||705-726-6760|
|Will Marshall Insurance Brokers Ltd||264 Burton Ave, Barrie, ON L4N 5W4||705-726-2551|
|Harris Auto Electric Ltd||25 Hart Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 5R8||705-726-1465|
|The Co-Operators General Insurance Co||14 Cedar Pointe Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 5R7||7057397700|
|The Co-operators||3-565 Yonge St, Barrie, ON L4N 4E3||705-417-1906|
|Stark John & Co Ltd||98 Essa Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 3K7||705-315-0660|
|Murphy Insurance & Financial Services||38 Ellen St, Barrie, ON L4N 3A3||705-737-3630|
|Skipwith & Associates Insurance Agency Inc||6 Cumberland St, Barrie, ON L4N 2P4||705-734-6279|
|BrokerLink||65 Mary St, Barrie, ON L4N 1T2||705-728-9921|
|State Farm Insurance||7 Sophia St W, Barrie, ON L4N 1H9||705-722-3340|
|Walton Financial Group Inc||126 Wellington St W, Barrie, ON L4N 1K9||705-302-0136|
|Aim Insurance Brokers Ltd||244 Dunlop St W, Barrie, ON L4N 1B6||705-737-5620|
|Insureit Group Inc||N-132 Commerce Park Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 0Z7||705-797-2103|
|Bevan D G Insurance Brokers Ltd||166 Saunders Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 9A4||705-726-3381|
|The Co-operators||353 Saunders Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 9A3||705-417-1768|
|State Farm Insurance||1-106 Saunders Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 9A8||705-726-6670|
|State Farm Insurance||1-431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 9B3||705-726-3079|
|Infinite Financial - Geoff Cook||387 Mapleview Dr W, Barrie, ON L4N 9G4||705-797-4941|
|Krause & Butt Insurance||607-92 Caplan Ave, Barrie, ON L4N 9J2||705-719-4193|
|State Farm Insurance||561 Bryne Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 9P6||705-722-0114|
|Dgb Bevan Insurance Brokers||21 Hooper Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 9S3||705-737-4787|
|Armstrong Insurance Brokers Ltd||565G Bryne Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 9Y3||705-722-8377|
|Sun Life Financial||A-62 Commerce Park Drive, Barrie, ON L4N 8W8||705-737-3552|
|RBC Insurance||55 Bryne Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 8V8||705-725-7402|
|Manitoba Public Insurance||505 Bayview Dr, Barrie, ON L4N 8Y2||705-735-9987|
|Melanie Adams||258 Bayfield St, Barrie, ON L4M 3B7||705-315-1523|
|Dusome Insurance Group||39 Collier St, Barrie, ON L4M 1G5||705-726-3350|
|Stevenson Insurance Brokers Limited||60 Collier St, Barrie, ON L4M 1G8||705-726-3333|
|Insureit Group Inc Barrie||13-4 Alliance Blvd, Barrie, ON L4M 7G3||705-252-5205|
|Jones DesLauriers Blevins||30 Quarry Ridge Rd, Barrie, ON L4M 7G1||705-721-9890|
|The Co-operators||3C-130 Bell Farm Rd, Barrie, ON L4M 6J4||705-417-1774|
|Faulkner P J Insurance Ltd||85 Ferris Lane, Barrie, ON L4M 6B9||705-726-1741|
|R.K. Mooney Insurance Brokers Ltd||7-20 Bell Farm Rd, Barrie, ON L4M 6E4||705-726-9941|
|Huronia Insurance Group||12-431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, ON L4M 6E7||705-721-4755|
|Underhill Insurance Brokers Inc||52 Masters Dr, Barrie, ON L4M 6W9||705-737-2598|
|Sarjeant Insurance||26 Quarry Ridge Rd, Barrie, ON L4M 5K5||705-726-0231|
|All-Risks Insurance Brokers Limited||210-48 Alliance Blvd, Barrie, ON L4M 5K3||705-881-7774|
|BrokerLink||6-18 Alliance Blvd, Barrie, ON L4M 5A5||705-728-2931|
|Sun Life Financial||3239 Penetanguishene Rd, Barrie, ON L4M 4Y8||705-812-0126|
|Wise Riddell Financial Group||560 Anne St N, Barrie, ON L4M 4S4||705-721-9659|
Barrie residents can start their search for affordable auto insurance here, using Ratelab’s car insurance calculator. Start with your home postal code, entered into the box below, and the calculator guides you through the remaining steps. The more accurate the information you enter, the closer your quotes will be to the price you pay through Ratelab’s insurance partners.