How are Car Insurance Quotes Calculated in Ontario
As per the province that you live in, there are various factors that affect Ontario car insurance premiums. Some of these factors are as below:
- The theft statistics and safety rating for your area
- Vehicle profile, safety features, and theft rating for your vehicle as per CLEAR. The make, model, and year of the vehicle.
- Whether you use your car for business, personal, or work commute purposes
- Average annual mileage
- Your driving record, offenses, tickets, violations, at-fault claims
- Driving experience and training from driving school
- Eligibility for any discounts
- Coverage level and deductibles
Apart from the above, government rules, taxes, healthcare costs, towing expenses, repair costs, and insurance fraud also influence insurance rates.
Average Car insurance Rates Across Ontario
The average cost of car insurance in Ontario is $1,349.
|City||Average Car Insurance Rates*|
|Sault Ste. Marie||$1,166|
*Methodology: We used a sample profile for a male driver aged 30 years with his own vehicle having mandatory coverage. He drives a Honda Civic 2012 car. With an average mileage of 5000 – 8000 km per year to commute to work. He has a clean driving record history of 5 years with no accidents or collisions.
We surveyed the Ontario car insurance prices for the purpose of illustrating. The ranges in quotes are based on driving record, location, and other criteria. To get a customized quote, enter your postal code above.
How Do I Use The Car Insurance Calculator
It is very easy to use the Ratelab car insurance calculator and just follow the below steps.
To begin the calculation, you may enter your postal code above and click on the compare for free quotes button.
Step 1: The next screen will ask you to enter your vehicle details very specifically. It may ask you if you lease your car, the main purpose, and annual mileage, if you use winter tires, and your car’s parking spot. On the bottom part of the same screen, you may choose your coverage level and deductibles. At this point, you may choose to add another vehicle and click on continue.
Step 2: The second screen will ask for the personal information of the driver such as age, gender, marital status, and occupation. Thereafter, you need to enter the license information, driving history, and current insurance. It may also ask for any gaps in coverage, the length of insurance, suspensions, accidents, or tickets. At the end of this screen, you may choose to add more drivers to the policy and click continue.
Step 3: The third screen will determine your applicable discounts. It will let you enter any professional associations, bundling offers, roadside assistance membership, and if you want to use telematics. Then you may choose to get the best rate options free as an email once every 30/60/90 days. If you agree then you may enter your name and email address. You may also choose to get subscriptions and click continue.
Wait for a couple of seconds and you see your best annual rate on the fourth screen with at least 15 quotes to compare. You may choose to give your phone number and unlock the rates and insurer details. An insurance advisor may contact you as per your choice or you may follow up to finish your car insurance shopping. It’s that simple!
- Collect all your information and be ready: You may need to gather all the relevant information for your car insurance ahead of time. It may not be time savvy if you are scrambling around for paperwork while using the car insurance calculator. So, keep your driving license, claims record, insurance details, other drivers, and vehicle information handy.
- Know how much insurance you need: When you are pretty confident about how much coverage is adequate for you then choosing limits is a breeze. This helps you to tweak other factors to check how it affects your rates. This also applies to how much deductible amount you may afford.
- Don’t focus on just the price: Apart from the lowest quote, you may also want to see if other factors are comparable. Price is not the only factor to consider a quote and you must ensure that you have sufficient coverage and policy limits.
What Information Do I Need To Provide To Use The Auto Insurance Calculator
Each quote is very specific to the details input by you in the calculator. In order to calculate your car insurance premiums using the auto insurance calculator, you may need the following information.
- Location: Your postal code holds a lot of weight when calculating insurance rates.
- Driver License: The driving license will show your experience and personal information.
- Vehicle Profile: The value, make, type, age, and model of your car will change rates.
- Claims history: If you had any past claims that may increase your rates.
- Violations or tickets: These would also negatively affect your rates.
- The level of coverage and deductible amount: The type of coverage and deductibles would change premiums. Higher deductibles would lower your premiums.
- Any optional coverage or endorsements: This is an additional cost for getting more protection and customized coverage.
- Discounts or professional associations: If you are a member of a professional association or armed forces, you may get a discount.
How Much Car Insurance Do I Need Ontario
In Ontario, as per FSCO, it is mandatory to have active car insurance if you own a vehicle to drive on the roads. You must carry third-party liability up to a minimum of $200000 and this covers property damage as well as bodily injury. Other mandatory coverage includes Direct Compensation Property Damage, Statutory Accident Benefits coverage, and Uninsured Automobile Coverage. Apart from these you may purchase additional coverage for more protection and increase your policy limits. Ontario has a no-fault insurance basis so if someone damages your car you may file a claim with your insurer. The other driver could claim from their insurer.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Car Insurance Calculator
- Fill out your vehicle, personal, and claims information only once and you can calculate the rates from dozens of insurance companies.
- The online website will take up the information that you fill out and shop on your behalf. Compare and benefit from the variety of options so that you are under no pressure.
- They have many insurance companies on their board and negotiate your rates.
- You may save time, money, and a lot of effort while choosing your best insurance option. The seamless and convenient online process helps you to take a good decision.
- When you use the car insurance calculator you are aware of the factors that affect your rates and how to drive them down in the future.
- Most importantly it is a FREE car insurance calculator tool, you have nothing to lose.