There are several benefits to attending a defensive driving school, including:
- Improved driving skills: A defensive driving school can teach you advanced driving techniques and help you become a more confident and skilled driver.
- Increased safety: By learning how to anticipate and respond to potential hazards on the road, you can reduce the risk of accidents and stay safer on the road.
- Lower insurance rates: Many insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who complete a defensive driving course, which can lower your insurance rates and save you money.
- Reduced traffic violations: By learning about the rules of the road and best practices for safe driving, you can reduce the likelihood of receiving traffic violations and avoid costly fines and points on your license.
- Increased knowledge of traffic laws: A defensive driving school can provide you with a comprehensive understanding of traffic laws and regulations, which can help you avoid breaking the law and reduce your risk of accidents.
- Better road awareness: By learning about the various factors that can impact your driving and the habits of other drivers, you can become more aware of your surroundings on the road and make better decisions behind the wheel.
- Improved confidence: By mastering advanced driving techniques and learning about the habits of other drivers, you can become a more confident and capable driver, which can make your driving experience more enjoyable.
How much does defensive driving training cost in Ontario?
The cost of defensive driving training in Ontario can vary depending on the provider and the type of course. On average, a one-day defensive driving course can cost anywhere from $100 to $200. Online courses tend to be less expensive, starting at around $50. It’s best to check with individual training providers for their specific prices and course offerings.
How much does drivers ed save on insurance in Ontario
The amount that completing a driver’s education course can save on car insurance in Ontario can vary depending on several factors, such as your age, driving record, and the insurance company you are with. However, on average, completing a driver’s education course can result in a reduction of 10-15% on your car insurance premium.
It’s important to keep in mind that different insurance companies may have different requirements for recognizing a driver’s education course. Some insurance companies may only offer discounts for courses that are approved by the province, while others may accept completion of any recognized driver’s education program. It’s a good idea to check with your insurance provider to see if they offer any discounts for completing a driver’s education course and what their specific requirements are.
What is MTO certificate insurance discount?
In Ontario, Canada, completing an approved driver’s education course can result in a discount on your car insurance premium. The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) certifies driver education courses that meet certain standards, and successful completion of an MTO-approved course can result in a reduction in your insurance premium.
It’s important to check with your insurance provider to see if they offer a discount for an MTO-certified driver’s education course, and what their specific requirements are. Some insurance companies may require that you provide proof of completion of the course, or that you take a certain type of MTO-certified course.
By completing a driver’s education course, you can demonstrate to your insurance company that you are a responsible and safe driver, which can help lower your insurance rates. The exact amount of the discount can vary depending on the insurance company and other factors, such as your driving record and the type of coverage you have, but it can be substantial in some cases.
In order to obtain an MTO (Ministry of Transportation of Ontario) certificate in Ontario, you will need to complete a Ministry-approved driver training course. The following steps outline the process of getting an MTO certificate:
- Choose a course: There are several Ministry-approved courses available, including in-class, in-car, and online options. Select a course that fits your schedule and learning style.
- Register for the course: Contact the training provider of your choice to sign up for the course. They will provide you with the necessary information, including the cost and the date of the course.
- Complete the course: Attend the in-class or online sessions and complete the required in-car training. The course provider will provide you with a certificate of completion upon successful completion of the course.
- Submit the certificate: You can submit the certificate to the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) to receive your MTO certificate. You may submit the certificate online or by mail.
Note: The MTO certificate is valid for 36 months and can be used to reduce the time required to obtain a full driver’s license in Ontario.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about defensive driving schools in Canada:
- What is defensive driving? Defensive driving is a driving technique that involves being aware of your surroundings, anticipating potential hazards, and making safe decisions on the road. The goal is to reduce the risk of collision and ensure the safety of yourself and others on the road.
- What is a defensive driving school? A defensive driving school is a training program that teaches drivers the skills and techniques necessary to drive safely and defensively. The programs typically include both classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel training.
- Who can attend a defensive driving school? Anyone who holds a valid driver’s license can attend a defensive driving school. However, some schools may have age restrictions, so it’s important to check with the school you’re interested in attending.
- What are the benefits of attending a defensive driving school? The benefits of attending a defensive driving school include improved driving skills, increased knowledge of traffic laws, reduced risk of collision, and potentially lower insurance premiums.
- How long does a defensive driving course typically last? The length of a defensive driving course can vary, but most programs last between 6 and 12 hours. Some courses may be completed in a single day, while others may be spread out over multiple days.
- How much does a defensive driving course cost? The cost of a defensive driving course can vary depending on the school and the program. On average, courses can range from $50 to $200.
- Do insurance companies offer discounts for completing a defensive driving course? Many insurance companies offer discounts for completing a defensive driving course. The amount of the discount can vary, so it’s best to check with your insurance provider for details.
- Will completing a defensive driving course remove points from my driver’s license? Completing a defensive driving course will not automatically remove points from your driver’s license. However, in some cases, a judge may allow you to attend a defensive driving course in lieu of paying a fine or having points added to your license.
- Are defensive driving schools recognized by the government? Defensive driving schools are not necessarily recognized by the government, but they are recognized by insurance companies and courts in some cases.